Mark Watson

Default woodworm

Hi

We're in the process of selling our 100yr old house, and our buyer's
surveyor spotted on the one tiny patch of exposed floorboads in the
house a number of flight-holes, some of which were evidently 'new'.

This has now translated into a quote for six hundred squids (lifting
and replacing of carpets extra) to chemically treat the entire house.
This seems a little OTT to me.

Anyone got any -authoritative- sources to say that it would make sense
for our buyers to simply wait until they replace carpets and treat the
rooms one by one? Or that they should wait until they replace a carpet
before having a good look at a room full of floorboards before making
a decision?

And is there any logic in the fact that there was woodworm in the
exposed floorboards on account of them being exposed, whereas all the
other rooms are carpeted and so the adult stage worm can't fly away
and infest elsewhere?

Mark Watson
Best SF - www.bestsf.net
Best SF reviews: classic and current short SF
Best SF Gateway: online short SF
Mike Taylor

Unfortunately sense or however you like to call it does not come into it
They are the buyers and can demand/request what ever they like. You have
three options, negotiate, get another buyer, agree to the request. They have
the same three options. It comes down to how badly you want to sell the
house, how badly they want it.
Negotiations rarely happen as they will say take it or leave it. Buyers are
in a much stronger position

Bob Smith

"Mark Watson" wrote in message
[...]

I saw a house of hell or watchdog about this. Do you have central heating?
Woodworm don't like centrally heated houses, so are unlikely to infest them.
They had scammers saying dart holes in the floor were woodworm, and it would
be x hundred pounds to get rid of them. (apparently dart holes and woodworm
holes do look different to an expert). Also had the "looks fresh to me"
scam.

I would suggest getting a woodworm expert to look at the holes. E.g., our
surveyor told us the gas fire chimney (in the new house) is not lined. I
talked to a gas fitter, and he said yes, you don't have to have a lined
chimney if it is not a back boiler as well, so that showed how much the
surveyor knew.

Bob

enuff

[...]

Is their evidence of worm elsewhere in the boards? Our last house had worm
holes in a few tail edges of boards and in the first inch of skirting,
transpired it was furniture that had been in place for 20 years. A
locallised treatment sorted it out. Dig a little deeper first. OTOH just do
it and sell the house, 600 quid isn;t a lot when you factor it in to agents
and solicitors fee!

Tony

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:25:31 +0000 (UTC), "Bob Smith"
wrote:

(apparently dart holes and woodworm
holes do look different to an expert).

Anyone with half a clue can tell you the species (down to a handful)
just by looking at the holes.

Tony

Mark Watson wrote:
And is there any logic in the fact that there was woodworm in the
exposed floorboards on account of them being exposed, whereas all the
other rooms are carpeted and so the adult stage worm can't fly away
and infest elsewhere?

No. I had a fully carpeted house and the first we knew about woodworm
was when some floorboards collapsed beneath a friend!

In our next house, where there was evidence of old flight holes and some
that maybe or maybe not were fresh flight holes, we didn't gamble and
got the whole house treated before we moved the carpets and furniture
in. Cost 1200 and I'm happy with the peace of mind it gives. Its also a
good selling point.

tony

Harry Ziman

Woodworm prefers green timber with some moisture. If things are dry and
centrally heated, then make really sure that it is fresh woodworm holes
showing current activity, but as the previous poster pointed out house
buying is a negotiating process and building societies can also impose
ridiculous requirements.

[...]

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:24:19 -0000, "Harry Ziman"
wrote:

Woodworm prefers green timber with some moisture.

Depends on the species. The powder post beetles that do so much damage
to furniture don't like timber that's even slightly green. The real
chewers of green timber are the longhorn beetles (1/4" holes !), but
they only eat sapwood (in most timbers) and they very rarely cause
problems (in the UK)

If you're talking about downstairs floorboards, then most under-floor
voids will be at a moisture level to encourage wood-boring beetles, no
matter how you heat the room above.
Mark Watson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:39:53 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

If you're talking about downstairs floorboards, then most under-floor
voids will be at a moisture level to encourage wood-boring beetles, no
matter how you heat the room above.

Thanks for all the advice - I reckon it's going to be a case of grin
and bear it. I reckon we'll reduce the price by the cost of the
treatment and let the buyers have the boards sprayed once they take
possession (they're with family now, so don't have to move in straight
away)