enuff

Default woodworm

"Mark Watson" wrote in message
Hi

We're in the process of selling our 100yr old house, and our buyer's
surveyor spotted on the one tiny patch of exposed floorboads in the
house a number of flight-holes, some of which were evidently 'new'.

This has now translated into a quote for six hundred squids (lifting
and replacing of carpets extra) to chemically treat the entire house.
This seems a little OTT to me.

Anyone got any -authoritative- sources to say that it would make sense
for our buyers to simply wait until they replace carpets and treat the
rooms one by one? Or that they should wait until they replace a carpet
before having a good look at a room full of floorboards before making
a decision?

And is there any logic in the fact that there was woodworm in the
exposed floorboards on account of them being exposed, whereas all the
other rooms are carpeted and so the adult stage worm can't fly away
and infest elsewhere?

Mark Watson
Best SF - www.bestsf.net
Best SF reviews: classic and current short SF
Best SF Gateway: online short SF

Is their evidence of worm elsewhere in the boards? Our last house had worm
holes in a few tail edges of boards and in the first inch of skirting,
transpired it was furniture that had been in place for 20 years. A
locallised treatment sorted it out. Dig a little deeper first. OTOH just do
it and sell the house, 600 quid isn;t a lot when you factor it in to agents
and solicitors fee!

Tony