hes4tres

Default Woodworm

There are several outbreaks of woodworm in the garage rafters, shelves and
workbench. Space far too valuable for a car so it's full of cr*p much too
good to throw away but a real pain to move.

Another outbreak under the bath (in the bathroom!).

I used to be able to get long lasting flying insect killers, a sort of
yellow plastic 6''x3'' which you hung up and which I have used successfully
to eradicate woodworm. Are they or similar still available & if so where?

The alternative is to spray but
Screwfix doesn't have a cheap pump up sprayer.
What is the best liquid?

Anyone got any recommendations/experiences?

Thanks.

Tres.

John Rouse

In article , hes4tres
writes
There are several outbreaks of woodworm in the garage rafters, shelves and
workbench. Space far too valuable for a car so it's full of cr*p much too
good to throw away but a real pain to move.

Another outbreak under the bath (in the bathroom!).

I used to be able to get long lasting flying insect killers, a sort of
yellow plastic 6''x3'' which you hung up and which I have used successfully
to eradicate woodworm. Are they or similar still available & if so where?

The alternative is to spray but
Screwfix doesn't have a cheap pump up sprayer.
What is the best liquid?

Anyone got any recommendations/experiences?

Despite what the wood treatment industry tell you woodworm are forest
floor animals, and are only likely to be in the sap wood unless you have
somehow managed to raise the humidity and lower the ventilation to the
extent that they think the rafters are a forest floor. Remove the source
of the damp, increase the ventilation, and the things will go away -
they can't live in dry wood. They don't fly very well, and don't breed
too well in a warm dry place.

I'm not a great fan of spraying toxic chemicals around in the home (or
garage) most insecticides are only a gnats whisker from nerve gases
anyway, and the emulsifiers and wetting agents are often nastier than
the active ingredients.

J.
--
John Rouse