Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washbasin repair?

I have a white ceramic washbasin that's perfect except for a chip
through the glaze where some clown has dropped a heavy object on it.

The chip is about 2mm square and maybe 1.5mm deep. It's about 100mm
left of the plug hole, so would be below the water line.

AFAIK there are at least a couple of products that claim to be able to
repair this kind of damage.

e.g.

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78376
http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78378

Does anyone have any experience of using these or similar?

Can they really achieve an "invisible" repair?

Does the repair last?

Is filling then painting rather than just filling more appropriate for a
chip this size?

Or would repairing it be a waste of time?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick
writes
I have a white ceramic washbasin that's perfect except for a chip
through the glaze where some clown has dropped a heavy object on it.

The chip is about 2mm square and maybe 1.5mm deep. It's about 100mm
left of the plug hole, so would be below the water line.

AFAIK there are at least a couple of products that claim to be able to
repair this kind of damage.

e.g.

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78376
http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78378

Does anyone have any experience of using these or similar?

Can they really achieve an "invisible" repair?

What shade of white is your basin, what shade of white is the stuff you
are repairing it with ?

White is not necessarily white - is the answer to that question

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
I have a white ceramic washbasin that's perfect except for a chip through
the glaze where some clown has dropped a heavy object on it.

The chip is about 2mm square and maybe 1.5mm deep. It's about 100mm left
of the plug hole, so would be below the water line.

AFAIK there are at least a couple of products that claim to be able to
repair this kind of damage.

e.g.

http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78376
http://www.boundarybathrooms.co.uk/W...ctDetail=78378

Does anyone have any experience of using these or similar?

Can they really achieve an "invisible" repair?

Does the repair last?

Is filling then painting rather than just filling more appropriate for a
chip this size?

Or would repairing it be a waste of time?

Yes these things work fine and really hide the chip, if done well. However
over time they yellow (say 5 years) and really stand out, at least the ones
below water level.

When we snagged out new house the bathroom sink was chipped both by the plug
hole and behind a tap so we complained. They fixed with white resin, wasn't
really visible, but my brother, being a building inspector, rejected again
and finally they changed the sink. The old sink went went to a club, where
after a couple of years the resin by the plug yellowed. The resin behind the
tap is still white.

Also they filled some dented chipboard built into fitted kitchen units,
again rejected as they resin filled. I recently came to cut up some of this
board for some bodging and the resin they used was really obvious now 5
years later. So glad it still wasn't fitted.

Waste from bathroom washbasin Keith Dunbar UK diy 6 August 22nd 07 09:08 PM
Monoblock washbasin taps peter UK diy 1 September 9th 06 11:55 PM
Single point washbasin taps Malcolm Stewart UK diy 2 June 10th 06 08:47 AM
Fixing mixer tap to washbasin charlieB UK diy 3 October 13th 05 03:12 PM
repair crack in washbasin temporarily? pedro UK diy 6 June 30th 05 01:00 PM