Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waste from bathroom washbasin

Discovered today that the waste from the bathroom washbasin is absolutely
full of clag - it's surprising it drained at all. Which isn't that
surprising as it is running absolutely horizontally for about 3 feet. The
sink is fitted with an S trap, from which the waste descends vertically, to
a 90 degree bend, from which it goes horizontally, ending in what I think is
called a conversion bend (90 degrees) which is pushed into some sort of
adaptor which is in turn fitted into the top of a cap on a vertical soil
pipe.

I went to a plumbers merchants thinking they'd be able to put me right - I
was thinking perhaps something like a pair of 92.5 degree bends would work -
but they'd never heard of them!!!!

Screwfix comes up with 92.5 degree bends and adjustable bends even - but one
of them needs to be a conversion bend to push into the top of a soil pipe.
Does such a thing as a 92.5 degree conversion bend exist?

Any thoughts?

TIA

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:31:36 GMT, "Keith Dunbar"
mused:

[...]

WTF is a conversion bend?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Looking at Screwfix catalogue it seems to be the name for a bend with a push
fit fitting at one end and plain pipe at the other. I'm just guessing -
perhaps someone can enlighten us both. On my system it pushes into some
sort of socket which in turn is fitted into a cap on a vertically placed
soil pipe.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:31:36 GMT, Keith Dunbar wrote:

Does such a thing as a 92.5 degree conversion bend exist?

Why worry? There is enough slack in push fit or compression to give the
desired angle. Solvent weld maybe not but I bet the gland around the cap
on the top of the soil pipe has enough give.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:31:36 GMT, Keith Dunbar wrote:

Does such a thing as a 92.5 degree conversion bend exist?

Why worry? There is enough slack in push fit or compression to give the
desired angle. Solvent weld maybe not but I bet the gland around the cap
on the top of the soil pipe has enough give.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

There's not that much give actually - raising the sink end seems to bend the
waste pipe more than anything. I'm afraid I'm being a bit of a
perfectionist and wanted if possible to get a nice neat job done.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 6:31 pm, "Keith Dunbar" wrote:
[...]

BES do a 92.5° angle adapter, part # 16136 on this page:

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/130a.asp

They also do a drain cleaner which should clear clag from drain pipes
OK, though maybe a normal caustic drain cleaner would work?

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keith Dunbar" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 17:31:36 GMT, Keith Dunbar wrote:

Does such a thing as a 92.5 degree conversion bend exist?

Why worry? There is enough slack in push fit or compression to give the
desired angle. Solvent weld maybe not but I bet the gland around the cap
on the top of the soil pipe has enough give.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

There's not that much give actually - raising the sink end seems to bend
the waste pipe more than anything. I'm afraid I'm being a bit of a
perfectionist and wanted if possible to get a nice neat job done.

Keith

Hope I'm not missing something but have a look at
http://www.polypipe.com/polypipe/con...categoryID=298
and the wp23 fittings in grey,black,brown & white

PeterK