Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom mirror fixing

Hi all.
I will be glueing a bathroom mirror to the wash basin wall soon.
However, I removed some tiles a couple of weeks ago
and it wasn't very difficult. It seems the tile cement had afixed
itself to
the emulsion paint only, and merely required a bit of encouragement
with a thin
screwdriver and 3 @ 20cm x 25cm tiles came off undamaged.

This is a lath & plaster wall but I'm not very keen on the idea of
knocking holes in it to insert noggins to match up with the miror
drill holes.
So should I treat this emulsion with something before No-more-nailsing
the
mirror to it?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

I will be glueing a bathroom mirror to the wash basin wall soon.
However, I removed some tiles a couple of weeks ago
and it wasn't very difficult. It seems the tile cement had afixed
itself to
the emulsion paint only, and merely required a bit of encouragement
with a thin
screwdriver and 3 @ 20cm x 25cm tiles came off undamaged.

This is a lath & plaster wall but I'm not very keen on the idea of
knocking holes in it to insert noggins to match up with the miror
drill holes.
So should I treat this emulsion with something before No-more-nailsing
the
mirror to it?

Can you not just scrape the emulsion off? Anything you use to cover it
over will still leave the unstable interface between the emulsion and
plaster, won't it?

BTW don't use "no more nails" - allegedly it can attack the silvering of
mirrors so you need to use special mirror adhesive (which you use just
like "no more nails").

David

mirror-fixing adhesive - can you remove from tiles if you change yourmind? [email protected] UK diy 1 February 12th 08 02:06 AM
fixing mirror - mirror screws and bushes sm_jamieson UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 01:29 PM
Mirror fixing Martin Robiette UK diy 8 February 15th 06 02:32 AM
Fixing mirror to tiled plasterboard wall N UK diy 8 January 4th 04 08:41 AM
Fixing a mirror into a wooden frame Bob Smith UK diy 6 October 6th 03 01:51 PM