Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motherboard 'header sockets'

I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

My new board expects 'header sockets' like this:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/syste...2472/sb059.jpg

but my case's front panel cables terminate in a single block that will fit
my old motherboard but not the new.

Does anyone know what they're actually called? I need them quite urgently
and have access to Maplin & RS locally but just can't find anything that
will do on their web sites.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message
Look like Molex connectors to me.

Thanks, searching for Molex got me a part number.

Using the part number I didn't find anything in Maplin but in RS I found
some for delivery only, minimum order of 50 - I only need a couple! I have
checked all the old PCs in my office to see if I can nick the connectors
from them but they're all DELLs and have an all in one connector block.

I'll have to just bodge this somehow I think!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They're called PCB headers.
Here they a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eader&doy=17m3

"elziko" wrote in message
m...
I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

My new board expects 'header sockets' like this:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/syste...2472/sb059.jpg

but my case's front panel cables terminate in a single block that will fit
my old motherboard but not the new.

Does anyone know what they're actually called? I need them quite urgently
and have access to Maplin & RS locally but just can't find anything that
will do on their web sites.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil Jones" wrote in message
They're called PCB headers.
Here they a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eader&doy=17m3

Are you sure? They look a lot wider and have guides on them so that "This
forms a polarised connector that will connect only one way round on the
matching PCB header plug. "

That doesn't sound or look like the Molex ones. I'm not even sure if the pin
pitch is the same.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:57:31 UTC, "elziko" wrote:

"Phil Jones" wrote in message
They're called PCB headers.
Here they a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eader&doy=17m3

Are you sure? They look a lot wider and have guides on them so that "This
forms a polarised connector that will connect only one way round on the
matching PCB header plug. "

That doesn't sound or look like the Molex ones. I'm not even sure if the pin
pitch is the same.

You are right - that is not them! And actually, Maplin don't do them.
They are 2.54mm pitch, aren't they?

CPC sell them, but you have to buy a pack of 100 pins/sockets to fit
them. I just ordered some yesterday, as it happens. The housings are
sold separately in various sizes. Oh, they call them '0.1" terminal
crimp sockets". Part number CN01057 on the CPC website will get you
started.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
You are right - that is not them!

Thanks for the confirmation. You don't happen to know if the CD-AUDIO type
cables are of the same pitch? I may be able to scavenge some of them and use
them to get me going.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:10:04 UTC, "elziko" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
You are right - that is not them!

Thanks for the confirmation. You don't happen to know if the CD-AUDIO type
cables are of the same pitch? I may be able to scavenge some of them and use
them to get me going.

Yes, they are. I wasn't absolutely 100% sure, but I have a few strips of
pins in the workshop for a project, and I just tried a spare CD cable on
them.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"elziko" wrote in message
m...
I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

My new board expects 'header sockets' like this:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/syste...2472/sb059.jpg

but my case's front panel cables terminate in a single block that will fit
my old motherboard but not the new.

Does anyone know what they're actually called? I need them quite urgently
and have access to Maplin & RS locally but just can't find anything that
will do on their web sites.

Ask in
uk.adverts.computer
and/or
uk.comp.homebuilt.
Probably find some kind soul willing to give you some from their collection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 11:57*am, "elziko" wrote:
"Phil Jones" wrote in message

They're called PCB headers.
Here they a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...lin&U=SearchTo...

Are you sure? They look a lot wider and have guides on them so that "This
forms a polarised connector that will connect only one way round on the
matching PCB header plug. "

They're the same pitch (0.1") and will fit unless the motherboard has
other components that will get in the way of the slightly larger
housing. If you have a Maplin locally, just buy a couple to verify
that they will be OK.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
Yes, they are. I wasn't absolutely 100% sure, but I have a few strips of
pins in the workshop for a project, and I just tried a spare CD cable on
them.

Oh, thanks for looking. I'll find some tonight and see if I can bodge my
connections together - it'll do for now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Mar, 10:40, "elziko" wrote:
I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

Well you _could_ just shove anything in there...
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Theyre-buffered.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

elziko formulated the question :
"Phil Jones" wrote in message
They're called PCB headers.
Here they a

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eader&doy=17m3

Are you sure? They look a lot wider and have guides on them so that "This
forms a polarised connector that will connect only one way round on the
matching PCB header plug. "

That doesn't sound or look like the Molex ones. I'm not even sure if the pin
pitch is the same.

Thanks

The pitch is the same and would fit, but the plastic outer would be too
thick for more than one to fit side by side.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:40:17 GMT, "elziko" wrote:

I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

My new board expects 'header sockets' like this:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/syste...2472/sb059.jpg

but my case's front panel cables terminate in a single block that will fit
my old motherboard but not the new.

Is it just that any blank pins are in the wrong position (stopping the
plug pushing home)? If so the blank can normally be pushed or drilled
out and a connector fitted in it's place? If your plug has too many
positions then it can be simply cut down with a Stanley knife (and
maybe a tidy up with a file or some glass paper).

Does anyone know what they're actually called? I need them quite urgently
and have access to Maplin & RS locally but just can't find anything that
will do on their web sites.

I think you will find the actual connectors within your multiblok can
be released from the block (scalpel blade under the little flap by
each connector) and then if covered with a suitable heat shrink could
be pushed straight onto the individual pins on your Mb header (fiddley
but it works).

Failing all that Maplin do sell the header plug / lead you show in
your link and they may be stripped and used as recepticals for your
existing pins or the cable cut / grafted (heat shrink again) to your
existing wiring (even back to the front panel itself in many cases).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...99276&doy=17m3

They are £1.99 each but you get some free switches to play with or
keep as case spares. ;-)

Given time your local PC shop should have an old case they are due to
throw away and could give you a set out of that (or I might be able to
find you some).

I have done all the above many times over the last 20+ years. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 5:17*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 17 Mar, 10:40, "elziko" wrote:

I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

Well you _could_ just shove anything in there...
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Theyre-buffered.aspx

That's a fine website, my friend. Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the suggestions. After al this I really can't beleive I never
noticed that the case was too small for the new motherboard all along. I'll
be gettng a new case anyway!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

elziko wrote:
I have a new motherboard and need to attach my case's front panel switches
and lights to it.

My new board expects 'header sockets' like this:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/syste...2472/sb059.jpg

but my case's front panel cables terminate in a single block that will fit
my old motherboard but not the new.

Does anyone know what they're actually called? I need them quite urgently
and have access to Maplin & RS locally but just can't find anything that
will do on their web sites.

TIA

You'll probably need to buy a new case. Unless you can cut up the block
from your case. The wire colourings may give you clues on how to cut.
But if your desperate and out of cash. You could identify which part of
the block comes from the power switch (Power SW) and if the M/b is
working correclty you will be ok.
But it would be safer to connect the speaker connector and connect that.
If you have the case speaker working this will tell you if the m/b is
faulty when you come to power up.

Arthur

20 Pin ATX Header [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 22nd 06 05:54 PM
Too many header tanks? MikeR UK diy 2 March 6th 06 11:29 PM
strengthen a header? TP Home Repair 10 August 16th 05 10:46 PM
doorway header jrlford Home Repair 5 February 12th 05 04:48 PM
Header Tank FujiMan UK diy 1 December 10th 04 01:57 PM