Posted to uk.d-i-y
MikeR

Default Too many header tanks?

I am thinking of changing my galvanised hot water header tank to a poly
tank. Its been in a long time and am worried about eventual corrosion.
I have a gas fired central heating system. It incorporates gravity fed
hot water and pumped central heating. The tank for the hot water is
about 12 inches above the cylinder in the airing cupboard. The smaller
separate feed tank for the central heading is in the attic.

When I replace the hot water feed tank I would like to put it in the
attic to get a better head of water on the hot taps. Can I somehow
incorporate the central heating feed tank into the hot water feed tank.

Is there a simple solution to my multi-tank problem? I don't want to
change too much as the system works well and appears to be reasonably
efficient.

Thanks

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews

"MikeR" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of changing my galvanised hot water header tank to a poly
tank. Its been in a long time and am worried about eventual corrosion.
I have a gas fired central heating system. It incorporates gravity fed
hot water and pumped central heating. The tank for the hot water is
about 12 inches above the cylinder in the airing cupboard. The smaller
separate feed tank for the central heading is in the attic.

When I replace the hot water feed tank I would like to put it in the
attic to get a better head of water on the hot taps. Can I somehow
incorporate the central heating feed tank into the hot water feed tank.

Is there a simple solution to my multi-tank problem? I don't want to
change too much as the system works well and appears to be reasonably
efficient.

Thanks

Mike

No. They are separate for good reson.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"MikeR" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of changing my galvanised hot water header tank to a poly
tank. Its been in a long time and am worried about eventual corrosion.
I have a gas fired central heating system. It incorporates gravity fed
hot water and pumped central heating. The tank for the hot water is
about 12 inches above the cylinder in the airing cupboard. The smaller
separate feed tank for the central heading is in the attic.

When I replace the hot water feed tank I would like to put it in the
attic to get a better head of water on the hot taps. Can I somehow
incorporate the central heating feed tank into the hot water feed tank.

No. You'll need two tanks still.

Is there a simple solution to my multi-tank problem? I don't want to
change too much as the system works well and appears to be reasonably
efficient.

You don't have a problem. Either replace the existing galvanised tank with a
plastic one in-situ, or replace it with an additional plastic one in the
loft.
Adding a second tank in the loft (replacing the one above the tank) is easy
(space and supports permitting) just a matter of running the pipework into
the loft. None of this should affect your heating system at all. Putting the
replacement in the loft will improve your non-mains water pressure.

Paul

Thanks

Mike