jrlford

Default doorway header

I am going to put a closet in a hallway on a load-bearing wall. I only
have room for a 20" door which means I will have to cut one stud and
about 22" span between studs. Do I need a header above the door to
support the one stud I will cut (which means I'd probably have to go
with an 18" door)?

--
jrlford
jrlford's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=52

Clark Griswold

"Evon" wrote in message
ink.net...
If this is a load bearing wall - that stud has downward pressure on it.
Why
do you not want to support it?

And make sure the stud is supported before you cut it.

jrlford

Its not that I don't WANT to support the stud. Due to other limiations
in the hallway, I have about 22" between studs. I thought it would be a
good place to put a door to a closet. I don't have enough room to put a
traditional header above the doorway. If a header would not be required
for the relatively short span, I could put a doorway in. That was my
thinking. If good building practices require a header even for that 22"
distance, then I will forget about putting a door there.

--
jrlford
jrlford's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=52
View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=74582
This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.org

Duane Bozarth

jrlford wrote:

Its not that I don't WANT to support the stud. Due to other limiations
in the hallway, I have about 22" between studs. I thought it would be a
good place to put a door to a closet. I don't have enough room to put a
traditional header above the doorway. If a header would not be required
for the relatively short span, I could put a doorway in. That was my
thinking. If good building practices require a header even for that 22"
distance, then I will forget about putting a door there.

New construction or retrofit? How much headroom is there? What's the
wall supporting? Can you simply put in a slightly shorter door if you
don't have the headroom? A steel angle or other arrangement could
probably be adequate.

Header Tank FujiMan UK diy 1 December 10th 04 01:57 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
What Material for a Porch Header? Bill Home Repair 2 August 29th 04 10:57 AM
No Cold Water Header Tank - Is this a problem? Chris UK diy 9 December 3rd 03 08:51 PM
Hot Water Keeps Entering My Header Tank. Wildey UK diy 1 November 6th 03 12:53 PM