DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   doorway header (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/90813-doorway-header.html)

jrlford February 12th 05 04:22 AM

doorway header

I am going to put a closet in a hallway on a load-bearing wall. I only
have room for a 20" door which means I will have to cut one stud and
about 22" span between studs. Do I need a header above the door to
support the one stud I will cut (which means I'd probably have to go
with an 18" door)?

--
jrlford
jrlford's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=52

Clark Griswold February 12th 05 02:11 PM

"Evon" wrote in message
ink.net...
If this is a load bearing wall - that stud has downward pressure on it.
Why
do you not want to support it?

And make sure the stud is supported before you cut it.

DanG February 12th 05 02:26 PM

Good building practice requires a header. There are many ways to
accomplish this and you have no reason to restrict yourself to an
18"door.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"jrlford" wrote in
message ...

jrlford February 12th 05 04:41 PM

Its not that I don't WANT to support the stud. Due to other limiations
in the hallway, I have about 22" between studs. I thought it would be a
good place to put a door to a closet. I don't have enough room to put a
traditional header above the doorway. If a header would not be required
for the relatively short span, I could put a doorway in. That was my
thinking. If good building practices require a header even for that 22"
distance, then I will forget about putting a door there.

Duane Bozarth February 12th 05 04:48 PM

jrlford wrote:

Its not that I don't WANT to support the stud. Due to other limiations
in the hallway, I have about 22" between studs. I thought it would be a
good place to put a door to a closet. I don't have enough room to put a
traditional header above the doorway. If a header would not be required
for the relatively short span, I could put a doorway in. That was my
thinking. If good building practices require a header even for that 22"
distance, then I will forget about putting a door there.

New construction or retrofit? How much headroom is there? What's the
wall supporting? Can you simply put in a slightly shorter door if you
don't have the headroom? A steel angle or other arrangement could
probably be adequate.