Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Controlling humidity in a concrete garage

I started noticing recently steel parts in my garage rustig - also
condensation forms on the roof and drip into boxes I have.

I have been insulating the garage (a bit) and say 2-3 nights a week
may spend 3-6 hours in there and use an electric fan heater to keep it
warm.

I have tried to seal out draughts so this probably doesn't help.

I put a temperature/humidity sensor in there and it says max humidity
is 60% and lowerst temp 2.4 deg over the last 1-2weeks - I thought the
humidity would have been higher actually.

Anyway what options do I have - I'm thinking maybe some vents I can
open when I leave the garage on a night are probably the only cheap
option but I guess they would need to be big to get any reasonable
airflow into the garage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
I started noticing recently steel parts in my garage rustig - also
condensation forms on the roof and drip into boxes I have.

I have been insulating the garage (a bit) and say 2-3 nights a week
may spend 3-6 hours in there and use an electric fan heater to keep it
warm.

I have tried to seal out draughts so this probably doesn't help.

I put a temperature/humidity sensor in there and it says max humidity
is 60% and lowerst temp 2.4 deg over the last 1-2weeks - I thought the
humidity would have been higher actually.

Anyway what options do I have - I'm thinking maybe some vents I can
open when I leave the garage on a night are probably the only cheap
option but I guess they would need to be big to get any reasonable
airflow into the garage.

Run a dehumidifier while you are in there instead of a fan heater? Gives you
some heat, helps to dry everything out, and gives you a supply of
"distilled" water for batteries and steam irons. Often a bit noisy though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar, 10:46, "newshound" wrote:
"405 TD Estate" wrote in ...

[...]

"distilled" water for batteries and steam irons. Often a bit noisy though.- Hide quoted text -

I can't see a de-himidifier making much heat - the 3kw electric heater
is sometimes on constantly if its near zero outside.

I was trying to avoid a dehimidifier bacause it's expensive to buy and
run and takes up space I dont have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar, 09:14, 405 TD Estate wrote:
-
I put a temperature/humidity sensor in there and it says max humidity
is 60% and lowerst temp 2.4 deg over the last 1-2weeks - I thought the
humidity would have been higher actually.

I'd think you have a carp humidity sensor. If it's, let's say 18 degC
and 50%, when you're in there, and the temperature falls overnight to
3 degC, I'd think you'd be getting somewhere around 90% in there
overnight, depending on the ventilation & outside Rh. Any metal bits
at that temperature would probably be below the dew point and you'd
get condensation forming on them and rust on steel.

What's the roof made of?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
[...]

Dehumidifier is most effective option. Cheap to buy if you get a
used one, but there arent many around so may take a while to get
one.

Run cost is minor. A 200w machine on for 1/8th the time is 25w
mean, so every 40hrs costs you 10p. And you only need it in
winter.

Lots of ventilation is the other option. Wont reduce RH as well,
but its cheap.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

405 TD Estate wrote:
[...]

Best to get one which heats as well. Otherwise the coils will freeze.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appin" wrote in message
The message

from contains these words:

405 TD Estate wrote:
[...]

If its that cold you don't need the dehumidifier anyway.