1_Patriotic_Guy

Default Reducing Humidity in Concrete "Built In" Garage

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage. I live in
Nebraska and have never had this problem before. Moisture gets in in the
winter from snow carried in by my wife's car. In the summer, the warm
outside air seems moist. A relative humidity meter (I purchased and placed)
on the wall rarely goes as low as 60% and is usually above 70% and sometimes
above 80%. I can buy and use a dehumidifier in the summer (I am told trying
to use them in the winter can damage the unit).

Do I have other options? Are there granular or other products that will
draw the moisture out of the air? Is there a reasonable way to minimize the
moisture my wife's car brings in (or isn't this the culprit)?

Thanks in Advance.

Respectfully,
Andy

Roger Taylor

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
nk.net...
I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage. I live in
Nebraska and have never had this problem before. Moisture gets in in the
winter from snow carried in by my wife's car. In the summer, the warm
outside air seems moist. A relative humidity meter (I purchased and
placed)
on the wall rarely goes as low as 60% and is usually above 70% and
sometimes
above 80%. I can buy and use a dehumidifier in the summer (I am told
trying
to use them in the winter can damage the unit).

Some possible solutions: a portable electric roll-around dehumidifier (but
you have to keep emptying the pan under it), a wall or window mounted
exhaust fan that sucks dry air, say from under a slightly open garage door,
out thru a window, a garage heater (in Denver we had hot water heating in
the garage, as a branch of the heating system). You could also leave snowy
cars outside long enuf to let it melt off, or just jet it off with a hose,
and let it drip before driving the car inside. Look also at some way to get
the garage air circulating, with fresh air coming in, or check that the roof
and garden drainage around your garage is away from the foundation, and away
from the garage, in all directions.
Cheapest solution... Move the tools you care about inside.

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage. I live in
Nebraska and have never had this problem before. Moisture gets in in the
winter from snow carried in by my wife's car. In the summer, the warm
outside air seems moist. A relative humidity meter (I purchased and placed)
on the wall rarely goes as low as 60% and is usually above 70% and sometimes
above 80%. I can buy and use a dehumidifier in the summer (I am told trying
to use them in the winter can damage the unit).

Do I have other options? Are there granular or other products that will
draw the moisture out of the air? Is there a reasonable way to minimize the
moisture my wife's car brings in (or isn't this the culprit)?

I doubt your wife's car is the culprit. How about a ventilation fan
that turns on when outdoor air contains less moisture than indoor air?

Smart Vent makes one.

Nick

John Hines

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage.

Boeshield T-9 is a fantastic tool protectant, that will help keep you
tools from rusting. They also have a cleaner and deruster product they
package with it, but the T-9 tool protector is great stuff.

Invented by Boeing for keeping tooling from rusting in Seattle.

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

I doubt your wife's car is the culprit. How about a ventilation fan
that turns on when outdoor air contains less moisture than indoor air?

Smart Vent makes one.

Can you please point me in the right direction to buy the fan with the
appropriate sensor?
Thanks in advance.

Smartvent, Inc.
3255 Cimarron Drive
Conway, AR 72032

phone 501 329 4915
fax 253 295 9111

http://www.smartvent.netcrawlspacevent.htm

Nick

John Hines

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

Where do I find this product to buy?

http://boeshield.com/

Google turns up a zillion hits, like this one:

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...osol-P3C4.aspx

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage.

Boeshield T-9 is a fantastic tool protectant, that will help keep you
tools from rusting. They also have a cleaner and deruster product they
package with it, but the T-9 tool protector is great stuff.

Invented by Boeing for keeping tooling from rusting in Seattle.

Harry

John Hines wrote:
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

Where do I find this product to buy?

http://boeshield.com/

Google turns up a zillion hits, like this one:

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...osol-P3C4.aspx

"John Hines" wrote in message
. ..
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools

are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage.

Boeshield T-9 is a fantastic tool protectant, that will help keep you
tools from rusting. They also have a cleaner and deruster product they
package with it, but the T-9 tool protector is great stuff.

Invented by Boeing for keeping tooling from rusting in Seattle.

Hello,
It would be a lot healthier for you as well as your tools to install a Hunter
Original (lifetime guarantee)ceiling fan in the garage. Let it run on high
(up-draft may be best)24/7/365. What with sleeping over that, iam amazed
youarenot inundated with mold, plus donot have sinus, joint or lung trouble.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

1_Patriotic_Guy

How does moving moist air around in a closed garage help? At best this
would just cause the moisture to precipitate out onto the floor or any
horizontal surface.
Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to fix my problem.

"Harry" :7501 wrote in message

John Hines wrote:
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

Where do I find this product to buy?

http://boeshield.com/

Google turns up a zillion hits, like this one:

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshiel...osol-P3C4.aspx

"John Hines" wrote in message
. ..
"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:

I own a 25 year old home with a garage under the bedroom. My tools

are
rusting, just by being stored in tool boxes in the garage.

Boeshield T-9 is a fantastic tool protectant, that will help keep you
tools from rusting. They also have a cleaner and deruster product

they
package with it, but the T-9 tool protector is great stuff.

Invented by Boeing for keeping tooling from rusting in Seattle.

Hello,
It would be a lot healthier for you as well as your tools to install a

Hunter
Original (lifetime guarantee)ceiling fan in the garage. Let it run on high
(up-draft may be best)24/7/365. What with sleeping over that, iam amazed
youarenot inundated with mold, plus donot have sinus, joint or lung

trouble.

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source