Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default How to Deal with Humidity in Garage

How would you deal with excessive humidity in a garage converted to
living quarters? There is an inordinate amount of humidity in the
garage, due perhaps to the trees which surround the garage. The
clothes that I hung in the garage are nearly ruined. My printer, I
believe, got damaged by the toner which ruptured due to the humidity.
Then my computer broke down due, I think, also due to the humidity.
Some of my documents with ink scribbles became nearly illegible as the
ink on the watery paper started slipping and spreading.

Is there an instrument that measures the humidity level? Can you
purchase one from Home Depot? Also, how should I deal with this
problem? I've looked at some dehumidifiers but they all seem rather
expensive ($1500-5000). Is there a more cost effective solution to
this? What's strange is that the rest of the house isn't all that
humid, including the basement. Are the trees the reason? If not,
then what?

WasteNotWantNot

wrote in message . ..
[...]

Where on earth did you see dehumidifiers for $1500? Try 1/10 of that
or less. I think your converted garage suffers from humidity coming up
from the floor. You should describe the floor to the group so they can
make suggestions. Perhaps a vapor barrier was not used. The cement
floor will wick moisture up from the ground. If they just put sleepers
and a floor over it with no vapor barrier you will have lots of
moisture. I bet you have mold also. Any breathing symptoms?