Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pole gangs

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

whats a pole and whats a gang?

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921508/ele...requestid=3476
has one pole

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921608/ele...requestid=3543
has two poles,

Poles refers to the switching. Single pole opens just the live leaving
the neutral connected. Double pole isolates the appliance by opening
both live and neutral.

As for gangs - that refers to the number of "facilities" provided on the
accessory. In the case of a socket a "double" is two gang and a single
is one gang and fit correspondingly named back boxes. However in the
case of a light switch you would find that anything up to three gang
(i.e. three individual switches in the same unit) still only occupy the
space of a single back box - 4 or more gang usually requires a double
back box.

whats the advantage???

Poles - I always buy double... the pros and cons however are minor if
your house wiring is ok. If it has reversed wiring at any sockets then
double pole is preferable!

whats the difference?

SP gives you functional switching but not true isolation, DP (usually -
assuming the contact separation is big enough) does both.

are they good buys??

They are cheap certainly - vut may not be particularly nice to wire. I
suggest something like TLCs "ultimate" range. These are my sockets of
choice now - well made, look smart, and very nice to wire. Not too
expensive either (although not 81p either).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
whats a pole and whats a gang?

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921508/ele...requestid=3476
has one pole

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921608/ele...requestid=3543
has two poles,
but is 18p more expensive,
whats the advantage???
whats the difference?

are they good buys??

george

A Pole gang is a criminal group of Eastern Europ... no... wait...

A single pole switch will only switch the live, a double pole will
disconnect the neutral as well. You almost certainly don't need it.

A two gang switch is just two switches in one unit.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

whats a pole and whats a gang?

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921508/ele...ting-security/

product.us0?sku=PRO-ELEC-9098&_requestid=3476
has one pole

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921608/ele...ting-security/

product.us0?sku=PRO-ELEC-9798&_requestid=3543
has two poles,
but is 18p more expensive,
whats the advantage???
whats the difference?

are they good buys??

george

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off.
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

A 2 gang switch has two separate switches that are operated by one
lever. Typically a 2 gang switch will allow both the live and neutral
connections to be simultaneously broken when it's operated. You could
have a 2 gang 1 pole switch or a 2 gang 2 pole switch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off.
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

A 2 gang switch has two separate switches that are operated by one
lever. Typically a 2 gang switch will allow both the live and neutral
connections to be simultaneously broken when it's operated. You could
have a 2 gang 1 pole switch or a 2 gang 2 pole switch.

Ignore that - I've just realised that I'm giving an answer that will
confuse you. I was thinking of switches used in electronics rather than
electrical installations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
A single pole switch will only switch the live, a double pole will
disconnect the neutral as well. You almost certainly don't need it.

Most sockets and all FCUs are now double pole. Someone somewhere obviously
thinks you do.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

whats a pole and whats a gang?

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921508/ele...ting-security/

product.us0?sku=PRO-ELEC-9098&_requestid=3476
has one pole

http://cpc.farnell.com/PL0921608/ele...ting-security/

product.us0?sku=PRO-ELEC-9798&_requestid=3543
has two poles,
but is 18p more expensive,
whats the advantage???
whats the difference?

are they good buys??

george

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or
off. A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can
make one circuit with the switch up and a different one with the
switch down. This is what's needed for landing light switches where
one lamp is controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

I think thats called one way or two way.

Why can't electricians speak normal English? Why do they call bulbs
'lamps'?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roly wrote:
A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off.
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

No - that's a single pole double throw (or changeover) type. Two-way when
applied to lighting. Poles are, err, poles apart. ;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Roly wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

[...]

You go to a garden centre to buy bulbs.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

[...]

Now there's a bright, neigh, brilliant idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth"
saying something like:

You go to a garden centre to buy bulbs.

I most certainly dont; I abhor gardening.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roly wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

[...]

A lamp may not be a bulb - it could be a strip or a tube.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 29, 12:13*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Why can't electricians speak normal English? *Why do they call bulbs
'lamps'?

Cos gardeners don't plant lamps! Silly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 28, 11:31*pm, (Roly) wrote:
Roly wrote:

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off.
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

A 2 gang switch has two separate switches that are operated by one
lever. Typically a 2 gang switch will allow both the live and neutral
connections to be simultaneously broken when it's operated. You could
have a 2 gang 1 pole switch or a 2 gang 2 pole switch.

Ignore that - I've just realised that I'm giving an answer that will
confuse you. I was thinking of switches used in electronics rather than
electrical installations.

And you were still wrong! A pole is a pole, whether electrical or
electronic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Feb, 13:40, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Feb 28, 11:31*pm, (Roly) wrote:

Roly wrote:

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off..
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

A 2 gang switch has two separate switches that are operated by one
lever. Typically a 2 gang switch will allow both the live and neutral
connections to be simultaneously broken when it's operated. You could
have a 2 gang 1 pole switch or a 2 gang 2 pole switch.

Ignore that - I've just realised that I'm giving an answer that will
confuse you. I was thinking of switches used in electronics rather than
electrical installations.

And you were still wrong! A pole is a pole, whether electrical or
electronic.- Hide quoted text -

And here was me thinking that this was going to be a discussion about
cheap foreign labour!

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Feb, 13:40, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Feb 28, 11:31 pm, (Roly) wrote:

Roly wrote:

A one pole switch only has a contact at one end. It's either on or off.
A two pole switch has a contact at either position, so it can make one
circuit with the switch up and a different one with the switch down.
This is what's needed for landing light switches where one lamp is
controlled by a switch upstairs or a downstairs switch.

A 2 gang switch has two separate switches that are operated by one
lever. Typically a 2 gang switch will allow both the live and neutral
connections to be simultaneously broken when it's operated. You could
have a 2 gang 1 pole switch or a 2 gang 2 pole switch.

Ignore that - I've just realised that I'm giving an answer that will
confuse you. I was thinking of switches used in electronics rather than
electrical installations.

And you were still wrong! A pole is a pole, whether electrical or
electronic.

Rory's description is strictly correct, but I think electricians use
the language their own way ! The whole point of a "gang" was that they
all moved together !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Rory's description is strictly correct, but I think electricians use
the language their own way ! The whole point of a "gang" was that they
all moved together !

That's *ganged*. 'Gang' refers to to individual units mounted on the same
plate. Dunno why.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
A single pole switch will only switch the live, a double pole will
disconnect the neutral as well. You almost certainly don't need it.

Most sockets and all FCUs are now double pole. Someone somewhere obviously
thinks you do.

Really? Someone hasn't thought through what happens when the live half
of the switch sticks, and there is then live all through the system as
far as the still-working neutral. (on a single pole switch you realise
'cos the darn thing doesn't turn off!)

Andy

HISPANIC GANGS SPREADING IN INDIANA greg3347 Home Repair 3 October 9th 07 02:19 AM
How to run outdoor electrical lines from pole to pole - What's required [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 1st 07 05:00 AM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 03:37 AM
Switch gangs and ways? BraileTrail UK diy 6 January 31st 04 10:36 PM