Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Splash backs, stainless steel etc

Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in message
Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

I fitted self-adhesive stainless steel splashbacks in my last kitchen. Got
them from sitcknsteel.co.uk or somesuch. They were a bit of a pain to keep
clean - obviously any water marks showed obviously. The real bummer was
when the cleaner took a scouring pad to it and scratched the bugger :-(.
She got deported soon after though ;-).

I probably wouldn't do stainless steel again due to it being fairly delect.
Not sure what I will go for when I do this kitchen - maybe some nice large
plain tiles - not these pigs and sheep I have right now ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 23:27, " wrote:
Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

In my previous house I used a colourful flowered tray,which I purchased
quite cheaply. I tried it as an experiment to start with because the rather
expensive green tiles behind the hob were discolouring when fat splashes
seemed to affect the glaze on them. The tray was an ordinary pressed
laminated plastic and I was concerned that it might catch fire initially,
however by checking it's temperature (hand test)over a long period I gained
some confidence that the tray did not overheat in practice. It was a gas hob
with a canopy extractor above it, I think the heat went straight up the
extractor.
I am not recommending this as a solution because different hobs would have
different characteristics depending on their distance from the splash back,
size of saucepans/ frying pans etc, I can imagine that a large utensil might
spread the flame somewhat.
Clearly the splashback should be made of a fireproof material. Stainless
steel would be the obvious choice, but I wouldn't fix it to the wall
behind,I would merely lean it against the back wall so that it's easily
removable to wash it in the sink.
Regards
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 11:27*pm, "
wrote:
Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

Glass? You can get coloured glass cut to shape, with holes for the
sockets etc. - well, no sockets if it's just above the cooker of
course...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 09:19, RobertL wrote:
On Feb 25, 11:27 pm, "
wrote:

Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

Glass? You can get coloured glass cut to shape, with holes for the
sockets etc. - well, no sockets if it's just above the cooker of
course...

Glass with an edge illumination system such that the whole pane glows
can look fantastic when the kitchen is configured to "show the
visitors" mode !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ajp ajp is offline

RobertL wrote:

On Feb 25, 11:27Â*pm, "
wrote:
Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

Glass? You can get coloured glass cut to shape, with holes for the
sockets etc. - well, no sockets if it's just above the cooker of
course...

I got toughened glass with polished edges and screwholes for mirror screws.
Now we keep holiday photos, cooking info (just how hot is a 'moderate' oven
in °C?) behind it and we can change them any time we like.
Glass just needs an occasional wipe down and even if you get something
really nasty on there a scraper shifts it dead easy.
One of my better ideas for the kitchen

Alan
--
email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ajp wrote:
RobertL wrote:

On Feb 25, 11:27 pm, "
wrote:
Need some kind of splash back above the cooker. Just how hard are the
stainless steel ones to keep clean? The woman of the house doesn't
want one because she thinks it will be a pain to keep clean and it
will scratch easy.

What other options are there? Tiles, clear plastic?

Glass? You can get coloured glass cut to shape, with holes for the
sockets etc. - well, no sockets if it's just above the cooker of
course...

I got toughened glass with polished edges and screwholes for mirror screws.
Now we keep holiday photos, cooking info (just how hot is a 'moderate' oven
in °C?) behind it and we can change them any time we like.
Glass just needs an occasional wipe down and even if you get something
really nasty on there a scraper shifts it dead easy.
One of my better ideas for the kitchen

Alan

Don't be tempted to get acid etched toughened glass as a splashback if
you have a grotty surface beneath. If you stick it on with no more
nails you can still see the glue through it, also whilst it blocks the
view at a distance you'll still be able to see the surface underneath.

Toughened glass with a backing is what you need then you can have it
coloured to fit your decor, If you (or swmbo)are bothered by such
aesthetics. I was recently quoted £200 for a piece 90cm x 76cm but there
is a three week lead time as it has to be made to order.

I wouldn't have stainless for a splashback for love nor money.

dedics

Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
stainless steel kklein Metalworking 7 September 5th 04 04:54 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 06:44 PM
MIG and 304 stainless steel Carl Ijames Metalworking 1 October 2nd 03 04:26 AM
Stainless Steel Ricardo Metalworking 4 August 9th 03 03:07 AM