Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical - Building Control Notice

Because I'm not convinced that Local Authorities know the correct
process or apply it consistantly I want to be sure of the facts
regarding the correct procedure for Building Control Notice.

This is my understanding :-
I submit a Building Control Notice (Including fee of £170) stating
that I am going to make some Modifications and Changes to the
Electrical wiring. The BCN form only has two lines to state
"Descrition of work" so I plan to attach a loose sheet that briefly
outlines the work. Does that sound OK ?

1) I then complete to first fix and inform Local Authority.

2) LA send someone out to inspect.

3) I complete 2nd fix and inform LA.

4) LA send someone out to inspect.

Now the questions :-
Do I fill out the BS7671 forms or should I expect the LA person to do
this ?
Do I submit any parts of the BS7671 form before work commences ?
What if we disagree on some issue ( I can't think of an example but
I'm afraid I just don't trust these people to play ball ) My thoughts
are that the LA will say their man has not signed off the installation
so they won't issue a completion certificate and if I contact the
electrical man directly he will say "you will have to take it up with
the LA because I'm working on there behalf not yours. Maybe I'm being
paranoid but where do I go then ......??

Is this process clearly defined somewhere, so if I get a Building
Inspector who tries to impose his personal interpretation of the rules
I can quote the facts with confidence.