Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paging woodburning stove owners...

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for £20. How
long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for
example. Is that about the usual price?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:36:29 +0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for
£20. How long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw
stove, for example. Is that about the usual price?

A week maybe

Looking at it that is more or less the period I came to for burning on our
open fire for around 5hrs/evening.

Cost, around here logs are about £70 per "load". A load is a little
variable but generally the back of a LWB pickup full or a good sized
trailer at least 4 m^3 or more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for £20.
How long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for
example. Is that about the usual price?

Well, it really depends how much you use the thing. We have a woodburner and
gas CH, so it only tends to get used every other afternoon / evening, and
approx just under half the amount you're on about would last us a couple of
weeks with that sort of use, or a week if we were using it heavily. OTOH we
also tend to chuck in a couple of lumps of coal too, which helps to keep it
going without a huge amount of wood in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for £20. How
long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for
example. Is that about the usual price?

If these parts the local woods sell at £50 for a "load" or sawn and
split logs[1]. That is a transit sized flatbed pickup sized vehicle, so
probably 3m^3

[1] Some would probably require further splitting for use in a log burner.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for £20.
How long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for
example. Is that about the usual price?

If these parts the local woods sell at £50 for a "load" or sawn and split
logs[1]. That is a transit sized flatbed pickup sized vehicle, so probably
3m^3

Those were the size/load figures I worked out (at normal seasoning, about
0.75 tonne). Round here a load has topped £100 though (

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks chaps.

Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up or just
a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air which way to go,
or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.

If, for example, I bought something similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER_W0QQitemZ140206848093

Posted to uk.d-i-y

See answers in other threads.

In general you will neeed a liner, which will probably cost more than the
stove.

HTH

Dave R
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Thanks chaps.

Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up or

just
a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air which way to go,
or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.

If, for example, I bought something similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRO...TOVES-COTTAGER
_W0QQitemZ140206848093

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Thanks chaps.

Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up or just
a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air which way to go,
or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.

If, for example, I bought something similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER_W0QQitemZ140206848093

All the way to the pot squire.

Nothing about wood burning stoves is easy, or cheap ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Thanks chaps.

Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up
or just a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air
which way to go, or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.

If, for example, I bought something similar to this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAPLE-CAST-IRON-STOVE-WOODBURNER-WOOD-STOVES-COTTAGER_W0QQitemZ140206848093

All the way to the pot squire.

Nothing about wood burning stoves is easy, or cheap ;-)

You're not bloody wrong there! Sneaky look-cheap-but-aren't *******s!

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:

If these parts the local woods sell at £50 for a "load" or sawn and split
logs[1]. That is a transit sized flatbed pickup sized vehicle, so probably
3m^3

Those were the size/load figures I worked out (at normal seasoning, about
0.75 tonne). Round here a load has topped £100 though (

To be fair, I don't know what current prices here are - I have not
ordered any for three years since the winters have been mild enough to
not warrant use of the open fire...

--
Cheers,

John.

Plate behind woodburning stove David UK diy 3 August 30th 07 08:55 AM
A Woodburning Stove Don Woodworking 19 April 29th 06 03:31 AM
Anyone know of a techy woodburning stove with electric control via a room thermostat? Peter UK diy 7 October 27th 05 10:03 PM
Woodburning efficiency in a multi-fuel stove. [email protected] UK diy 4 September 15th 05 05:35 PM
Colwood Cub woodburning tool Tony Manella Woodturning 3 July 2nd 03 03:19 PM