Tony Manella

Default Colwood Cub woodburning tool

Thanks Darrell. Can you give me any info on the Razortip system, ie why is
it better, how costly, etc.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Tony
I have the Razortip system which is similar to the Colwood according to
what I read on the Colwood pages. Personally I like my Razortip but the
Colwood looks adequate. I would get a fixed tip pen for general use, the
"B" at 1/4", and one for writing, the "C"

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Darrell Feltmate

Tony
I should be clear that I have not used the Colwood system. I do have the
Razertip. It was developed for the high intensity use of professional
bird carvers who burn for hours at a time as they define the quills of a
bird's feathers. In theory one can get 120 lines to the inch using the
standard tip. I am not in that theory but I can get a fine line. The
systems are available with 10 amp, 45 watt power supplies, line and
fixed tip hand piece at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a... 41115%2C45497
watch for line wrap.
or at http://www.razertip.com/razertip.htm
for all the information.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
jim swank

Without going into brand names, higher power is better. It's not that
you need higher temps than the small burners will achieve, but you do
need consistent temperatures. That means recovery time should be
minimal, particularly as you will be burning deeper and hotter than bird
carvers. The more available power, the faster the recovery time. With
the high end Detail Master or any reasonable equivalent, you can just
about burn continuosly.

Btw, 120 lines per inch, with a tip sharp as a good knife is possible,
and some can even go higher. I only did it once myself, to prove to a
bird carver that it wasn't as hard as he wanted to make it sound.

Jim

Joe Fleming wrote:

Tony,

During their AAW demonstrations, both Art Liestman and Andi Wolfe mentioned
that, for serious burning, the smaller units do not have adequate watts to
burn significant designs. They are OK for signing your name and for drawing
simple lines, but they are underpowered for deep burning and carving similar
to what those whom you mentioned (Andi, Jack and David) do in their work.

I know that Andi, Art, and Jack all have Detail Master Burning Units. I
believe that both Jack and Art have the Excalibre and that Andi has the
Sabre. On their recommendation, I bought the Excalibre.

When shopping, you should go for enough power. Here are some web sites.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

http://www.detailmasteronline.com/
http://www.woodburning.com/cords.htm
http://www.woodcarvers.com/detailmaster.htm
http://www.woodburningpens.com/

"Tony Manella" wrote in message

Inspired by David Nittman, Jack Vesrey and of course our own Andi Wolf, I

am

interested in decorating some turnings with woodburning. Since I am just
getting into this I don't want to spend much money. I noticed that

Highland

Hardware has a great price on a tool called the Cub made by Colwood. Does
anyone have any experience with this tool? Its rated at 35 watts and has

temperature control. They also have 16 tip designs, too many for a

beginner

to chose from, and I have no idea what they all are used for. I want to

buy

2, one for signing pieces and fine detail but I'm not exactly sure what I
want to do with the other yet. Is there a shape that could act as a jack

of

all trades? Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

Tony Manella

HI Joe,
I hadn't planned on doing entire pieces like the artists I mentioned, just
some detail work here and there on an occasional piece. I don't have the
time or patience to do an entire piece. I also don't have hundreds of
dollars to spend on a tool that will only be used a few times a year. Maybe
I need to rethink if I really want to do any burning at all. Thanks for the
response.