Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Jacking' a door frame.

I bought a book from Amazon recently "How to open locks without picks or
keys".

Basically rubbish, 23 typewritten pages reduced to A5 with a cheap card
cover, cost me a £10.

Looks like it was written years ago given the chapter about opening vehicle
quarter light windows. First chapter is about slipping a blade between the
door frame & the 'moulding strip' to open a Yale type lock. Clearly
wouldn't work with a door frame that is rebated - like all modern door
frames.

However, one chapter caught my eye, jacking or spreading a door frame.

The concept is that you use a bottle jack & suitable timber spacers to force
the door frame apart enough , so that the lock bolt is free of the mortise
in the frame.

Since a lock bolt is only about 3/4" long, it seems vaguely possible on some
doors. Interesting idea - any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 00:53:48 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I bought a book from Amazon recently "How to open locks without picks or
keys".

Was this for the day job or the evening one?

Basically rubbish, 23 typewritten pages reduced to A5 with a cheap card
cover, cost me a £10.

Seems you were had

Looks like it was written years ago given the chapter about opening vehicle
quarter light windows. First chapter is about slipping a blade between the
door frame & the 'moulding strip' to open a Yale type lock. Clearly
wouldn't work with a door frame that is rebated - like all modern door
frames.

A very flexible one?

However, one chapter caught my eye, jacking or spreading a door frame.

The concept is that you use a bottle jack & suitable timber spacers to force
the door frame apart enough , so that the lock bolt is free of the mortise
in the frame.

Since a lock bolt is only about 3/4" long, it seems vaguely possible on some
doors. Interesting idea - any thoughts?

Probably, but why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.

A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of pieces of
timber round with him is he. ;-)

This an american book?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a book from Amazon recently "How to open locks without picks or
keys".

Oh dear.

Basically rubbish, 23 typewritten pages reduced to A5 with a cheap card
cover, cost me a £10.

Well you must be thick if you can't use Google to get far more comprehensive
information and ebooks for *FREE*. Would you like one sent via email?

Looks like it was written years ago given the chapter about opening
vehicle quarter light windows. First chapter is about slipping a blade
between the door frame & the 'moulding strip' to open a Yale type lock.
Clearly wouldn't work with a door frame that is rebated - like all modern
door frames.

However, one chapter caught my eye, jacking or spreading a door frame.

The concept is that you use a bottle jack & suitable timber spacers to
force the door frame apart enough , so that the lock bolt is free of the
mortise in the frame.

Since a lock bolt is only about 3/4" long, it seems vaguely possible on
some doors. Interesting idea - any thoughts?

How do you think the police get in through uPVC doors so quickly without
making much noise!
Prize the frame apart and give it a thump. Wooden doors are not much of a
problem to anyone with a drill.
The locks on your fancy upvc doors are so insecure I am amazed they meet any
insurance approval. Most can be opened in just a few seconds using a
bump-key or a bit longer using a pick and tension bar. All can be drilled
and due to design faults the door and/or lock can be drilled quickly to
allow access. So much for high security or British Standard ratings.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

No, but they always carry a bloody great big crowbar.

This is tyeh i equivalant.

This an american book?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Or a sledgehammer, as I found out one new year's day early morning.
Bloke demolished two solid wood doors, one double locked, with (I think)
single blows. It was only the sight of me in the buff at the top of the
stairs that made him turn round ;-)

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:31:31 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

How do you think the police get in through uPVC doors so quickly without
making much noise!

They don't on new ones. The guy from one door comany was telling us
they only build doors to the standard required by drug dealers to
prevent police access.

Prize the frame apart and give it a thump. Wooden doors are not much of a
problem to anyone with a drill.
The locks on your fancy upvc doors are so insecure I am amazed they meet any
insurance approval. Most can be opened in just a few seconds using a
bump-key or a bit longer using a pick and tension bar. All can be drilled
and due to design faults the door and/or lock can be drilled quickly to
allow access. So much for high security or British Standard ratings.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 00:53:48 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I bought a book from Amazon recently "How to open locks without
picks or keys".

Was this for the day job or the evening one?

Just interested really.

Basically rubbish, 23 typewritten pages reduced to A5 with a cheap
card cover, cost me a £10.

Seems you were had

I'm sending it back.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.

A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)

Nerbut a handyman could.

This an american book?

How did you guess?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an episode of The Sweeney! "Get yer trousers on, you're
nicked."

Do tell more!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .. .
I bought a book from Amazon recently "How to open locks without
picks or keys".

Oh dear.

Basically rubbish, 23 typewritten pages reduced to A5 with a cheap
card cover, cost me a £10.

Well you must be thick if you can't use Google to get far more
comprehensive information and ebooks for *FREE*. Would you like one
sent via email?

You offering? Yes in that case.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.

A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)

Nerbut a handyman could.

... and for that matter, an angle grinder.

This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Haven't heard of him for a while - he's probably banged up.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mogga wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:31:31 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

How do you think the police get in through uPVC doors so quickly without
making much noise!

They don't on new ones. The guy from one door comany was telling us
they only build doors to the standard required by drug dealers to
prevent police access.

Dealers do not fit upvc doors.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.

A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)

Nerbut a handyman could.

.. and for that matter, an angle grinder.

This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Damm! My secret identity exposed by my nemisis - Lidl Man!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-17 10:22:37 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.

A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)

Nerbut a handyman could.

.. and for that matter, an angle grinder.

This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Damm! My secret identity exposed by my nemisis - Lidl Man!

It was the blue leotard and gold pants that gave it away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47b867bc@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-02-17 10:22:37 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.
A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)
Nerbut a handyman could.
.. and for that matter, an angle grinder.
This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Damm! My secret identity exposed by my nemisis - Lidl Man!

It was the blue leotard and gold pants that gave it away.

and the tell-tale signs of the whale-bone girdle hiding the beer gut

--
Si

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-17 10:22:37 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.
A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)
Nerbut a handyman could.
.. and for that matter, an angle grinder.
This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm
Damm! My secret identity exposed by my nemisis - Lidl Man!

It was the blue leotard and gold pants that gave it away.

and the tell-tale signs of the whale-bone girdle hiding the beer gut

Except you would need rebar not whale bone :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I once locked myself out of a rather grotty flat. Luckily the
door, though Yale locked, opened outwards, as it led straight
onto stairs.

The only equipment I had was the tool roll for my Honda 50. I
used a spanner handle to spread the gap between door and jamb,
then was able to use a pair of screwdriver blades to inch the
straight side of the bolt back.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I once locked myself out of a rather grotty flat. Luckily the
door, though Yale locked, opened outwards, as it led straight
onto stairs.

The only equipment I had was the tool roll for my Honda 50. I
used a spanner handle to spread the gap between door and jamb,
then was able to use a pair of screwdriver blades to inch the
straight side of the bolt back.

My wife managed to leave the key to a rented car in the boot
with the car locked.
A man from the rental company opened the door
with a balloon-like device which he inserted in the gap
and then blew up with a kind of hand-pump.
I looked afterwards, and could see no damage at all.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-17 20:10:28 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-02-17 10:22:37 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
On 2008-02-16 18:52:41 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

That depends on how far apart the door flat is from the frame.
A burglar is hardly going to carry a bottle jack and a couple of
pieces of timber round with him is he. ;-)
Nerbut a handyman could.
.. and for that matter, an angle grinder.
This isn't you is it? The geography and occupation fit......
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm
Damm! My secret identity exposed by my nemisis - Lidl Man!

It was the blue leotard and gold pants that gave it away.

and the tell-tale signs of the whale-bone girdle hiding the beer gut

Except you would need rebar not whale bone :-)

Now he feels small and guilty.