Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clip on door

On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

Yes there are - just had a look at some we have on a cupboard (covering
the bit below a basin) but no manufacturer details, nor part number, etc.

I was considering magnets for something similar. Looking at the Magsafe
connector used on Apple Macs, it appears that they use three magnets in
a row - something like S-N-S - which would (obviously) snap to a simlar
row of N-S-N. Have not yet tried it but it seems logical... :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

That's an interesting question - why do you want such a door?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

What about a bed connector. Something like this:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=205
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

Screwfix 19215 roller catches http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qaqk7 might do
the trick. They have a fair amount of lateral tolerance so you'll probably
need small wood blocks on the back of the door to register with the inside
bottom corners of the cupboard to provide precise vertical and horizontal
location.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19215/...32-x-16mm-Pk10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I
could make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong
enough at the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it
doesn't have to be lifted up to clear as there will be another door
above and I'd like it close fitting to the top of the removable one.

What about a bed connector. Something like this:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php?products_id=205

That looks like an up and off. I'd rather it didn't have to lift upwards.

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I
could make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong
enough at the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it
doesn't have to be lifted up to clear as there will be another door
above and I'd like it close fitting to the top of the removable one.

That's an interesting question - why do you want such a door?

It's purely needed for service access - nothing will be stored etc in the
unit. Something like a boiler cupboard. And there is an obstruction to
prevent a normal door opening fully. So easiest way is to have the door
totally removable.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 10:48, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn. *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I'd go for the magnets and like you say install something on the door
to rest inside the cupboard to take the vertical load off the door.

HTH,
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I
could make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong
enough at the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it
doesn't have to be lifted up to clear as there will be another door
above and I'd like it close fitting to the top of the removable one.

That's an interesting question - why do you want such a door?

It's purely needed for service access - nothing will be stored etc in the
unit. Something like a boiler cupboard. And there is an obstruction to
prevent a normal door opening fully. So easiest way is to have the door
totally removable.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I certainly wasn't saying you shouldn't have one by the way :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges
but just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this?
I could make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be
strong enough at the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd
rather it doesn't have to be lifted up to clear as there will be
another door above and I'd like it close fitting to the top of the
removable one.

Screwfix 19215 roller catches http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qaqk7
might do the trick. They have a fair amount of lateral tolerance so
you'll probably need small wood blocks on the back of the door to
register with the inside bottom corners of the cupboard to provide
precise vertical and horizontal location.

I imagine that they would probably do. My outlaws used to have a meter box
whose front was held on with a couple of catches like that, and just pulled
straight off hohizontally.

Otherwise, Velcro might do the job.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Push on push off magnets, the type they used on glass panelled display
cabinets to open the glass door.
You gave it a push in and it sprung open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb, 10:48, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

Keku catches would do the job, screwfix and ironmongery direct sell
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/product/6...tic_catch.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CK507 woodfit part number for plinth connecters.

we use them for hideaway panels/bath panels in bathrooms in premier Inns
hotels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another door above and I'd like it
close fitting to the top of the removable one.

How about simple dowel pegs

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 15, 10:48*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
On a kitchen unit I'd like one standard door not to open on hinges but
just to come off for access. Any fittings available to do this? I could
make something up, of course. Would magnetic catches be strong enough at
the top if it were supported at the bottom? I'd rather it doesn't have to
be lifted up to clear as there will be another d

You could use bolts into the top and bottom frames, in a variety of
configurations from ordinary surface bolts to offset bolts as
sometimes used on french windows or flush-fitting bolts inside the
doors. Is teh door one of a pair - that would mean it might not need
to be pivotable.