Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inaccessible choc-boxes

Hi

My friend is completing his conservatory which has a roofed ceiling.
It is necessary to route ring main cable in the roof space between the
insulation and the plaster board. Two existing cables had to be
extended and joins are made in the roof space using terminal block in
choc-boxes. My friend wants to know whether it is permissable to have
choc-boxes in this space because when the plasterboard is fitted the
boxes will be inaccessable (without removing the boards).

Is there any regulation that forbids such an arrangement?

Is it necessary to get a Part P inspection before the plaster boards
are fitted?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DavidA writes:
Hi

My friend is completing his conservatory which has a roofed ceiling.
It is necessary to route ring main cable in the roof space between the
insulation and the plaster board. Two existing cables had to be
extended and joins are made in the roof space using terminal block in
choc-boxes. My friend wants to know whether it is permissable to have
choc-boxes in this space because when the plasterboard is fitted the
boxes will be inaccessable (without removing the boards).

Is there any regulation that forbids such an arrangement?

Yes. Inaccessible connections should be crimped, soldered, or brazed.
Crimping is what's normally done in your case.

Is it necessary to get a Part P inspection before the plaster boards
are fitted?

That's up to your building control officer (or whoever
he's arranged to do the Part P inspection on his behalf).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
DavidA writes:
Hi

My friend is completing his conservatory which has a roofed ceiling.
It is necessary to route ring main cable in the roof space between
the insulation and the plaster board. Two existing cables had to be
extended and joins are made in the roof space using terminal block in
choc-boxes. My friend wants to know whether it is permissable to have
choc-boxes in this space because when the plasterboard is fitted the
boxes will be inaccessable (without removing the boards).

Is there any regulation that forbids such an arrangement?

Yes. Inaccessible connections should be crimped, soldered, or brazed.
Crimping is what's normally done in your case.

How is 'inaccessible' defined Andrew? For example, a chocky block tucked
into a ceiling void above a ceiling rose?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
DavidA writes:
Hi

My friend is completing his conservatory which has a roofed ceiling.
It is necessary to route ring main cable in the roof space between
the insulation and the plaster board. Two existing cables had to be
extended and joins are made in the roof space using terminal block in
choc-boxes. My friend wants to know whether it is permissable to have
choc-boxes in this space because when the plasterboard is fitted the
boxes will be inaccessable (without removing the boards).

Is there any regulation that forbids such an arrangement?

Yes. Inaccessible connections should be crimped, soldered, or brazed.
Crimping is what's normally done in your case.

How is 'inaccessible' defined Andrew? For example, a chocky block tucked
into a ceiling void above a ceiling rose?

It's not strictly defined.
My take on it is something you can can't get
to as part of an electrical system inspection.
I think what you describe would be OK from this
point of view, but something that required
damaging furnishings/decorations would not.

As to whether you should be stuffing a choc block
unprotected into a ceiling void -- that's a
different matter. I know most electricians do.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Inaccessible junction boxes Ren UK diy 14 September 17th 06 04:53 PM
LITTLE BOXES foggytown Woodworking 4 July 7th 06 10:28 AM
Thread Boxes Trevor Woodworking 4 July 20th 05 06:13 AM
Inaccessible pipe leak problem. Home Repair 10 May 15th 05 02:53 PM
Sat Boxes Seafarer Electronics Repair 2 April 22nd 05 01:45 PM