Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OK to leave hammerite undercoat

Hi,
I fixed up some pending structural rust on my bike with hammerite red
undercoat but don't really feel the need to colour match the bit I did
(underneath). Can I just leave the undercoat exposed ? will this do the job
? I'm always seeing cars driving about will only undercoat.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , news.virgin.net
writes
Hi,
I fixed up some pending structural rust on my bike with hammerite red
undercoat but don't really feel the need to colour match the bit I did
(underneath). Can I just leave the undercoat exposed ? will this do the job
? I'm always seeing cars driving about will only undercoat.

Hammerite undercoat, I don't know, but I thought that normal undercoats
absorbed water

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , news.virgin.net
writes
Hi,
I fixed up some pending structural rust on my bike with hammerite red
undercoat but don't really feel the need to colour match the bit I did
(underneath). Can I just leave the undercoat exposed ? will this do the
job
? I'm always seeing cars driving about will only undercoat.

Hammerite undercoat, I don't know, but I thought that normal undercoats
absorbed water

Primers stick to surfaces but don't cover and have no surface themselves,
either flat or protective
Undercoats stick to primers, cover, and have surfaces that are flat but not
protective
Top coats stick to undercoats, don't cover, are only as flat as the surface
underneath but have a protective surface.

Combination paints (eg primer/undercoats, "one coat" for decorating) muddy
the water, but the above is close enough!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Most undercoats are the same as topcoats except they have a higher
solids to resin ratio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Errr, so they are not the same! Higher solids, lower resin means better
cover and flatter/matter nad no protective surface. More resin less solids
means worse cover but a hard protective coat which is, I believe, what I
said. There is a sense in which all paints are "the same with different
ingredients" of course!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

*less* protective surface rather than none.

.. More resin less solids
means worse cover but a hard protective coat which is, I believe, what I
said. There is a sense in which all paints are "the same with different
ingredients" of course!

Undercoat recommendation? dadiOH Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 12:11 PM
Undercoat For Gloss Topcoat . Stuart UK diy 1 September 7th 05 12:06 AM
OK to use white undercoat instead of emulsion David P UK diy 7 June 4th 05 03:29 AM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 03:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 10:35 AM