David P

Default OK to use white undercoat instead of emulsion

The undercoat will get grubby and discoloured, but, you can use it now,
and when funds are better, emulsion over it.

BigWallop

"Lars" wrote in message
Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion paint.

I would need to buy the emulsion but unfortunately I am overspent at
them moment!

------

This is the bqackground. I found I have got a nearly full 10 litre
tin of Johnstone high opacity white undercoat.

I want to re-paint the inside of a cupboard which has brick walls and
is plastered in the same way as conventional indoor walls are. The
cupboard walls are already painted white but it was several years
ago.

I just wonder if undercoat might change colour over time or might be
poorer wearing or might have some other disadvantage? Can someone
advise please.

Yeah, why not. If it looks white, and it feels white, then it must be
white. No matter how it got to be white, then it'll be alright to use the
white paint you have. :-)

I'll get me coat.

Christian McArdle

Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion paint.

No. It will look very odd, and you don't really want oil based paint in a
kitchen cupboard. If it is acrylic water based undercoat, there's no harm in
it, but it doesn't look particularly good without a top coat.

Christian.

Lars wrote:

I forgot to mention that the undercoat is not oil based. It says it
is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

When it dries it kind of looks like emulsion paint.

Alkyd is oil based household gloss, and undercoat. Not ideal but sure
it works.

Or if you need white emulsion on a shoestring, you could use lime
paint. =A36 will get you enough white paint to paint the neighbourhood.

NT

The Natural Philosopher

Lars wrote:

On Thu 02 Jun 2005 15:59:22, Christian McArdle wrote:
et

Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion
paint.

No. It will look very odd, and you don't really want oil based
paint in a kitchen cupboard. If it is acrylic water based
undercoat, there's no harm in it, but it doesn't look
particularly good without a top coat.

I forgot to mention that the undercoat is not oil based. It says it
is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

When it dries it kind of looks like emulsion paint.

Actualy it darn nearly IS emulsion paint...

Christian McArdle

I forgot to mention that the undercoat is not oil based. It says it
is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

An alkyd paint taking 5 hours to dry is very likely solvent based. Most
water based paints are acrylic or vinyl, although some acrylics are also
solvent based.

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:28:23 +0100, Lars wrote:

On Thu 02 Jun 2005 15:59:22, Christian McArdle wrote:
et

Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion
paint.

No. It will look very odd, and you don't really want oil based
paint in a kitchen cupboard. If it is acrylic water based
undercoat, there's no harm in it, but it doesn't look
particularly good without a top coat.

I forgot to mention that the undercoat is not oil based. It says it
is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

When it dries it kind of looks like emulsion paint.

If you do a large area with an oil paint - give yourself plenty of
ventilation.

Is it ok to use white undercoat instead of white emulsion
paint.

is alkyd based and takes about 4 to 5 hours to dry.

If you do a large area with an oil paint - give yourself plenty of
ventilation.

.... for days. Why not just leave the painting till youve got 10 for a
tin of paint.

NT