Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen suppliers

I thought I'd come and ask you chaps what your opinion
of the various types of kitchens supplied in the uk.

and I know you've probably covered it all before (so point me to a
relevant thread if you're fed up with being asked).

I've always found this group very helpful and sympathetic.

I'm looking at a getting a new kitchen and wonder if going for a posh
german kitchen like alno or nolti would be a better investment

than your ikea/magnet/mfi or diy shed based products.

I suppose I'm trying to decide between bmw/honda/ford.

Does Ikea still deliver only half your kitchen and knock chips off the
other half?

have MFI really improved over their previous selves ?
has magnet got worse..

Any kitchen firms in west London you would recommend?

Thanks for you input.
dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
I thought I'd come and ask you chaps what your opinion
of the various types of kitchens supplied in the uk.

and I know you've probably covered it all before (so point me to a
relevant thread if you're fed up with being asked).

I've always found this group very helpful and sympathetic.

I'm looking at a getting a new kitchen and wonder if going for a posh
german kitchen like alno or nolti would be a better investment

than your ikea/magnet/mfi or diy shed based products.

I suppose I'm trying to decide between bmw/honda/ford.

Does Ikea still deliver only half your kitchen and knock chips off the
other half?

have MFI really improved over their previous selves ?
has magnet got worse..

Any kitchen firms in west London you would recommend?

Wickes are worth a look, their take away range is well made & very good
value.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TheOldFellow
writes

It's worth getting cabinets made of ply rather than chipboard, IMO.

There are companies that will supply these without doors and drawer
fronts. You can also get doors and drawers fronts... Then you DIY.

I'd love to find an outfit that did faced ply cabinets off the shelf but
have all but given up on the search, do you have any suggestions?

Me, I make the lot from sheets of 8x4 ply and rough-sawn hardwood, but
it takes a long long time!

I have considered this route but don't think my skills are up to it.

Melamine-faced chipboard is OK for a while, but eventually the
moisture gets in and it swells. So there seem to be two approaches:
cheap and chipboard, but plan to refurb quite often (5-10 years or so),
or expensive and solid, but last a lifetime...

I totally agree, there must be a market for more water resistant
cabinets.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
crb crb is offline

On 7 Feb, 11:31, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
I thought I'd come and ask you chaps what your opinion
of the various types of kitchens supplied in the uk.

I have recently been through the process of choosing new kitchen
units, looking for a good quality brand. Looked at Alno, Crown, Arena
etc, but eventually opted to go to Better DIY (betterdiy.co.uk) based
in Worthing, West Sussex - all communications were done via email, so
no need to visit. I was very impressed with them. The cost was
extremely competitive (there was a 2:1 variation in quotes), the
quality was excellent, and there was not a single mark/chip/knock
damage on any of the 25 items delivered - and everything was there
down to the last washer. Further, the items were delivered on
schedule. and the company took the trouble to email me updates on
progress of the order. Other points - you can get the units ready-
assembled or flat-packed, get bespoke units and also buy half-sheets
of matching finished board as well (which I found invaluable for
finishing off inside an alcove).

I still can't believe how smoothly things went - based on previous
poor experience with other kitchen suppliers.

If you wish to pursue them, ask for Jane - other sales staff there
might be just as good, but she was excellent.

By the way, I have no connection with the firm other than being a very
satisfied customer.

CRB