Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for good kitchen suppliers

I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:48:18 -0700, rozzikate wrote:

I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

Go to your local B&Q and get something off the shelf rather than something
they have to order.
They have "Solid Oak" (excellent quality) at the moment which is half price
and an extra 15% off if you spend over £150 in one transaction. Most
stores stock it.
jeez i sound as if i work there
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May, 23:01, Steve wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2007 14:48:18 -0700, rozzikate wrote:
I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

Go to your local B&Q and get something off the shelf rather than something
they have to order.
They have "Solid Oak" (excellent quality) at the moment which is half price
and an extra 15% off if you spend over £150 in one transaction. Most
stores stock it.
jeez i sound as if i work there

Sounds like you do!! but I won't hold it against you. Do they do
corner units etc or is it just the straight stuff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May, 23:16, raden wrote:
In message .com,
writes

I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

You should have watched "Brits get rich in China" on CH4 earlier tonight
then

--
geoff

Was too busy designing, don't ya know. Don't think I fancy Chinese
units!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May 2007 15:56:21 -0700 wrote :
Sounds like you do!! but I won't hold it against you. Do they
do corner units etc or is it just the straight stuff?

B&Q corners are done with a double unit, one door and a corner post.
Note that the corners occupy more than 600mm (640mm IIRC) to give
room for the doors to open. Guess who didn't realise this until too
late - the 1970s units I was replacing had the extruded door top
handles which don't need extra space.

IMO B&Q units are a pretty good buy for the price, with the
advantage that you can buy lots of the bits separately if you have a
bit of non standard infill etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

When my mam died and we were refurbishing her house to let it out, we went
to Howdens. These are the trade arm of MFI and as such they don't deal with
the public but if you know any builders/kitchen fitters etc., with an
account there, ask them to get it through their account for you.

We were very impressed with the quality of the components used and with the
build quality (the carcases come ready-built, not flat-pack) as well as
delivery - everything arrived on time and nothing missing - so much so that
when our kitchen needed refurbishing we went back to them again. Well
recommended.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 09:49, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks for that - my uncle's got a card there I think

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 May, 00:05, raden wrote:
In message .com,
writes

On 28 May, 23:16, raden wrote:
In message .com,
writes

I'm about to buy new kitchen units - looking for reliable suppliers/
brands at reasonable prices - would like rigid carcasses if possible.
Have heard some horror stories about big chain kitchens - eg parts
not delivered, poor quality etc. I live in the North London area. Can
anyone recommend good brands/companies or say if they've had a bad
deal?

You should have watched "Brits get rich in China" on CH4 earlier tonight
then

--
geoff

Was too busy designing, don't ya know. Don't think I fancy Chinese
units!!

How do you know that you have the choice ?

--
geoff- Hide quoted text -

I don't - but then I didn't see the program did I? Praps it's better
not to know! I'll have to see if anyone I know recorded it - I'm dead
curious now!!