Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Community Service

There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby. (About
five minutes from the end if anyone wants to listed again). There,
instead of setting offenders clearing gardens they are putting them
through training courses in things like DIY. There was a soundbite of
one of the instructors explaining wiring a plug. Went something like
'there are two wires brown and blue. The second letter of blue is L
so...' then cut to the presenter. Did he really mean that? The mind
boggles.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

.... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby. (About
five minutes from the end if anyone wants to listed again). There,
instead of setting offenders clearing gardens they are putting them
through training courses in things like DIY. There was a soundbite of
one of the instructors explaining wiring a plug. Went something like
'there are two wires brown and blue. The second letter of blue is L
so...' then cut to the presenter. Did he really mean that? The mind
boggles.

Yes - I heard that and wondered. 'L' from blue equals line? 'N' from brown
equals neutral? Bit of a worry. Could be 'L' equals left when working on
the plug, I suppose. But if someone doesn't know brown goes to the fuse
perhaps they should stick to clearing gardens.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:28*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Andrew May wrote:

There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby. (About
five minutes from the end if anyone wants to listed again). There,
instead of setting offenders clearing gardens they are putting them
through training courses in things like DIY. There was a soundbite of
one of the instructors explaining wiring a plug. Went something like
'there are two wires brown and blue. The second letter of blue is L
so...' then cut to the presenter. Did he really mean that? The mind
boggles.

Yes - I heard that and wondered. 'L' from blue equals line? 'N' from brown
equals neutral? Bit of a worry. Could be 'L' equals left when working on
the plug, I suppose. But if someone doesn't know brown goes to the fuse
perhaps they should stick to clearing gardens.

What he would have said if the sound bite had not been so badly edited
was L for LEFT.
Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:04*am, Andrew May wrote:
There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby.

Bringing back the birch perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby. (About
five minutes from the end if anyone wants to listed again). There,
instead of setting offenders clearing gardens they are putting them
through training courses in things like DIY. There was a soundbite of
one of the instructors explaining wiring a plug. Went something like
'there are two wires brown and blue. The second letter of blue is L
so...' then cut to the presenter. Did he really mean that? The mind
boggles.

Andrew

so now if you want a free training course, go smash some windows
and you get it. Whats wrong with our society... is it just
our politicians so lost?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Sounds plausible. But I'm flabbergasted. Surely even at that level the
difference between live and neutral shouldn't be too difficult to
comprehend. I am sure there are instances when the left/right rule
wouldn't work. Perhaps Part P is a good thing after all :-)

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Obviously an ex sailing instructor ;(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:40:00 -0800 (PST)
Brian wrote:

On Feb 7, 10:04Â*am, Andrew May wrote:
There was a short piece on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning
about an alternative to community service being tried in Derby.

Bringing back the birch perhaps?

Nah, use Oak, much stronger for a gallows. Especially one that will
get a lot of use.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian wrote:

What he would have said if the sound bite had not been so badly edited
was L for LEFT.
Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.

But what's left and what's right depends on which way round you're holding
the plug. If you hold it so that the cable comes in from the top . . .

And what about the earth wire - I haven't heard any mention of that?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Sounds plausible. But I'm flabbergasted. Surely even at that level the
difference between live and neutral shouldn't be too difficult to
comprehend. I am sure there are instances when the left/right rule
wouldn't work. Perhaps Part P is a good thing after all :-)

Andrew

how many people that dont know L from N are going to know about
part p, and care?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Feb 7, 11:32 am, Andrew May wrote:
[...]
... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Sounds plausible. But I'm flabbergasted. Surely even at that level the
difference between live and neutral shouldn't be too difficult to
comprehend. I am sure there are instances when the left/right rule
wouldn't work. Perhaps Part P is a good thing after all :-)

If they were teaching 'how to wire a plug' then this seems a perfectly
reasonable approach to me. I worked out this way of thinking about
wiring a plug myself, at the age of ten or so, when the flex colours
changed from red/black/green, and have been happy to teach it to
others since. When you're wiring a plug it's pretty damn obvious
'which way round' it should be - how many people wire a 3-pin plug
with the Earth pin towards them?

Learning which colour is live and which neutral is then a different
cognitive process, which not everybody has need of. I learned it by
remembering how a plug was wired and which colour went to the fuse.
Brown is not the most obvious colour for *Most Dangerous!* after all
(yes I know the reasons...)

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian" wrote in message
Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.

The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell left
from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is driving
and he is map reading.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Grandfather taught me this technique almost 40 years ago when I was 10.
Every time I wire a plug top he is 'sat' on my shoulder saying "Blue has an
L in it so it goes to the left, Brown has got an R in it so it goes to the
right, and IF you have one left over (Green or Green/Yellow) it can only go
in the other one". This also worked for the 'old' colours of black and red
and also if, for whatever reason, you wanted to put a plug top on T &E,
earth sleeved of course! As for the poster stating it depends on which way
you hold the plug when wiring it up, I am sure most (if not all) people
would have the wire entering from the bottom of the plug top, it is the
natural way to work surely.

It works for me, and I will pass this on to my two boys (8 & 5) when I feel
they are ready.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:32:24 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Sounds plausible. But I'm flabbergasted. Surely even at that level the
difference between live and neutral shouldn't be too difficult to
comprehend. I am sure there are instances when the left/right rule
wouldn't work. Perhaps Part P is a good thing after all :-)

Andrew

The Prat P does not govern plugs!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2008 10:37, Brian wrote:

Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots

I'd rather idiots weren't wiring up plugs at all, especially if there's
any chance of them doing it for anyone else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "nightjar"
cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk says...
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell left
from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is driving
and he is map reading.

When I was an instructor I found that roughly a third of people don't
know their lefts from rights well enough to take directions given that
way.
Examiners are wise to this and will quickly swap to "Take the second
road on my side" or "At the roundabout, take the third exit, that's the
one leading off to your side", but the prefer it if the candidate comes
out with it up front at the start of the test.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

As for the poster stating it depends on which way you hold
the plug when wiring it up, I am sure most (if not all) people would
have the wire entering from the bottom of the plug top, it is the
natural way to work surely.

There are actually two of us now!

I agree that most reasonable people will hold it with the wire at the
bottom. *But* the very fact that you apparently need a rule like this means
that it needs to be foolproof for *everybody* - not just reasonable people -
and it ain't! If there's a way of misinterpreting it, some fool will do so
sooner or later.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from Skipweasel contains these words:

I taught my son to do plugs and explained that the dullest colour is the
one most likely to do you in. The second dullest is the second most
likely to do you in, and the most eye-catching is the least likely to
nobble you. He hasn't got it wrong yet (since he's only ten I still
check the plugs he does).

Which works nicely (naturally, that's why they changed the standard
colours so that colour-blind people could sort out the wires accurately)
until he comes to an appliance with an old flex on it :-) (And not
all old flexes are iffy -- it might be a nice butyl one)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-07 10:25:01 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

This is scary. It assumes that the miscreants can read and write and
spell their name - Knut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:

I taught my son to do plugs [...] (since he's only ten I still
check the plugs he does).

Wow, Inky ten already? Doesn't time fly :-)

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

Surely Offside and Nearside (*) is the correct terminology but that opens
up a whole new can of worms!!

Cheers

John

(*) for those that do not know, this refers to which side of the vehicle you
mean in relation to 'your' kerb when a vehicle is pointing the correct way
on a highway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-07 23:14:41 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

I'm not sure that it's that. According to the Archbishop of
Canterbury (that ever reliable source), we will inevitably be having
Sharia law. Extrapolating that, 'ring hand' and 'other hand' may
mean something different entirely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

Probably too confusing, given that he has both left and right hand drive
cars. He tends to collect old VWs and Porsches and has imported at least one
unusual model from the USA.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 23:14:41 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

I get SWMBO to say "your side" or "my side" - have done for 30 years.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-02-07 10:25:01 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

This is scary. It assumes that the miscreants can read and write and
spell their name - Knut.

I bet they could teach the instructor few things about car ignition wiring
on a Ford or Vauxhall.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:04:21 +0000, Andrew May wrote:

There was a soundbite of one of the instructors explaining wiring a
plug. Went something like 'there are two wires brown and blue. The
second letter of blue is L so...' then cut to the presenter.

... so it goes onto the Left terminal. The second letter of the other
wires is R so that goes to the right.

Sounds plausible. But I'm flabbergasted. Surely even at that level the
difference between live and neutral shouldn't be too difficult to
comprehend.

I am sure there are instances when the left/right rule wouldn't work

I would be worried to be employing someone that could only tell live and
neutral
in that sort of way, lets hope they don't employ a mild dyslexic who has
problems
telling left from right, or is holding the plug upside down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
John wrote:

As for the poster stating it depends on which way you hold
the plug when wiring it up, I am sure most (if not all) people would
have the wire entering from the bottom of the plug top, it is the
natural way to work surely.

There are actually two of us now!

And me, wired a plug upside down when it was a safelight in a darkroom the
light was up high and the plug leade short.

I agree that most reasonable people will hold it with the wire at the
bottom.

It's hard to imagine reasonable people doing community service ;-)
Or did they just forget to pay the library fines for late book returns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:59:36 -0000, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

It's hard to imagine reasonable people doing community service ;-)
Or did they just forget to pay the library fines for late book returns.

It's hard to imagine people in prison for what they ate at Heathrow or
for was found in the tread of their shoes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7234786.stm

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.

The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell left
from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is driving
and he is map reading.

Nice to know that I am not on my own with this problem.

My wife often tells me to turn left and points right :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:28:08 UTC, Dave wrote:

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.

The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell left
from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is driving
and he is map reading.

Nice to know that I am not on my own with this problem.

My wife often tells me to turn left and points right :-(

BTDTGTTS!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

Blue goes to the left, Brown to the right. No point in going into
Live
and neutral for idiots, far easier, and possibly more likely to be
understood, to say left and right.

The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot
tell left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when
she is driving and he is map reading.

Nice to know that I am not on my own with this problem.

My wife often tells me to turn left and points right :-(

When I lived in Indonesia, I needed my servant to navigate to somewhere

roughly translated ...

"Which way?"
"turn"
"Left or Right?"
"turn"
"Left or right?"
"Doh - turn around"

.... "Which way?"
"turn ..."

You think you have problems

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 01:02:10 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2008-02-07 23:14:41 +0000, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
nightjar cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
The wife of a friend, far from an idiot in other matters, cannot tell
left from right. He has to say 'ring hand' or 'other hand' when she is
driving and he is map reading.

Crikey. Wouldn't driver's side etc be easier? That's the way I know my
right from my left. ;-)

I'm not sure that it's that. According to the Archbishop of
Canterbury (that ever reliable source), we will inevitably be having
Sharia law. Extrapolating that, 'ring hand' and 'other hand' may
mean something different entirely.

It could be even more difficult for thieves.

M.

community news Doctorsacb Home Repair 3 February 7th 07 03:24 PM
New DIY Video Community. Doozer Home Repair 0 June 2nd 06 11:13 PM
Whole House system -- Community Well Hard Water Homeowner Home Repair 5 February 16th 06 08:51 PM
community mortgages? Sarah Home Ownership 4 November 17th 05 01:36 PM