Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet underlay - Cloud 9 ?

Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

Regards,

Geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff wrote:
Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

Had some in use for about 3 - 4 years now. Still seems to do the job
and has not lost its bounce in high traffic areas. Easy to move about
and lay, and reasonable price. Certainly seems better than the rubber
waffle stuff. Probably not as good (from a feel point of view or
acoustically) as the top end crumb rubber. So on balance I would use it
again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

Had some in use for about 3 - 4 years now. Still seems to do the job and
has not lost its bounce in high traffic areas. Easy to move about and lay,
and reasonable price. Certainly seems better than the rubber waffle stuff.
Probably not as good (from a feel point of view or acoustically) as the
top end crumb rubber. So on balance I would use it again.

--
Cheers,

John.

I had a good underlay in my lounge which gave a great feel - but the castors
on my settees caused permanent dents - I expect the 'give' in the underlay
caused the backing of the carpet to stretch and maybe fail.

Will go for top end rubber in future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Geoff
writes
Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

I'm yet to be convinced on Cloud 9, I feel it is being hyped a bit. I
chose traditional felt underlay (on Victorian gapped & warped boards)
and am happy with it but the choice cost me a bit extra.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff" wrote in message

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

I bought a Brinton Axminster carpet last year, and asked Brinton's
advice. Their first choice was normally rubberised felt, but since we'd
had carpet moth problems previously, they suggested Cloud 9 instead.
They warned against excessively soft underlays, because they allow the
carpet to stretch too far under concentrated loads, and against
excessively thick ones, for the same reason plus the problem of it
coming off the grippers.

I went for Cloud 9 Contract, which iirc is 8mm thick, and will shortly
be after another four rolls of it, or similar, for a place I'm working
on. The waffle underlay that would have been "free" with the mid-range
tufted carpet chosen was rubbish.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff" wrote:
Hi,

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range? I am going to be
laying carpet shortly and am looking for a good but cheapish underlay.
I have previously paid for good quality rubber underlay but Cloud 9
has this beaten on price and some seem to rave about it.

Regards,

Geoff

There are at least 4 different grades of Cloud 9 depending on the thickness
so it depends which grade of Cloud 9 you are comparing price-wise with other
types of underlay. Normally a carpet supplier will recommend which grade of
Cloud 9 is suitable for the type of carpet and the amount of traffic/type of
room. As for good but cheapish, try eBay. But beware of buying Cloud 9 on
eBay, some of it is seconds but not advertised as such - check with the
seller beforehand that they are not selling factory rejects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 31/01/2008 19:23 Geoff wrote:

Anyone any pros or cons about the Cloud 9 range?

We've got quite a lot of this in the house and it's very good. Plenty of
'spring' and showing no sign of this reducing.

Be careful though, Cloud 9 isn't just one product as is often imagined:
you need to get the correct thickness for your application.

Carpet Underlay diy-newby UK diy 2 January 28th 08 01:24 PM
so which underlay - Cloud 9 or Duralay Gold [email protected] UK diy 2 June 25th 06 08:38 PM
Carpet underlay - Cloud 9 or Duralay Gold? [email protected] UK diy 6 June 23rd 06 03:53 PM
Underlay, Cloud 9 or Tredaire 9mm or 11mm Richard Faulkner UK diy 6 April 14th 05 12:36 AM
Cloud 9 carpet underlay: experiences [email protected] UK diy 3 December 13th 04 10:40 PM