Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet underlay - Cloud 9 or Duralay Gold?

Just bought expensive carpet from CarpetRight - Wessex Twist it's
called. Not bad price - £45 reduced to £16 a square metre. However,
naturally they want me to also purchase their incredibly expensive
underlay - various flavours of Tredaire at between £6.99 and £8.99 a
square metre, plus gripper rods at £1.50 a metre.

Funnily enough they only charge £2.30 a metre fitting, which is quite
reasonable. However, the underlay is clearly where they make their
money, so I've decided to source it seperately.

Anyway, after reading previous posts on this NG, it seems that Cloud 9
is a well regarded underlay. It's currently available on the internet
at at around £3 a metre for 9mm Cirrius, about 10% more for 11mm
Cumulus. Independent fitters would fit this for about £2 a metre.

I was going to go with this, but both local fitters that I spoke to
instead recommended something called Duralay Gold. The price would come
to pretty much the same, ie £5 a metre for underlay, grippers and
fitting. They both suggested it was rather better than Cloud 9, but
then perhaps they would say this? (Since they will actually supply the
Duralay themselves, presumably at a bit of an extra markup).

Can't find much info on the Duralay, certainly no info comparing it
with Cloud 9. Does anyone have any views?

If it's of relevance, it's primarily for bedrooms, but will also be
used for stairs and upper landings.

Many thanks for any advice.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In the last couple of years I have fitted Cloud 9 Cirrus in two bedrooms and
on all stairs and landings, either before new carpets were fitted or where
old ones were lifted and the old underlay found to be too rough to put back.
In all cases it has been fine. Dead easy to fit yourself; don't waste money
paying others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

reellifetv wrote:
[...]

I'd still go with a felt underlay, for that price you could get
a good specification. You won't find carpet fitters recommending
it, though, because while it will outlast other underlays in terms
of time and comfort, it's more difficult to lay carpet on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
rrh wrote:
If it's of relevance, it's primarily for bedrooms, but will also be
used for stairs and upper landings.

Not related to your question as such but I'm surprised that you consider using
the same carpet on stairs as in the bedrooms. I'd have thought you're either
getting something inadequate for the stairs or too expensive for the bedrooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
reellifetv wrote:
[...]

Sorry by felt do you mean Cloud 9 or Duralay?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes the underlay is relatively easy to fit, but streching the actuall
capets properly seems a bit of a challenge, and something I'm happy to
contract a professional for

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
carpet underlay: thickness etc Jennifer Moore UK diy 3 October 26th 05 04:00 PM
Cloud 9 carpet underlay: experiences [email protected] UK diy 3 December 13th 04 10:40 PM
Gold and Silver Roy's Junk Metalworking 24 December 26th 03 09:47 PM