Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water in washing machine

I have a new Hotpoint washer / dryer. It's only about a month old.

Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and
being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

I have had several washing machines / dishwashers in this house and
never had this problem before.

Steve........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-27 14:34:37 +0000, dog-man said:

I have a new Hotpoint washer / dryer. It's only about a month old.

Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and
being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

Could be, but more likely either a faulty solenoid valve or perhaps
some crud stuck in it. Try taking out the filter in the valve inlet
and checking that before calling the repair man.

I have had several washing machines / dishwashers in this house and
never had this problem before.

Steve........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2008 14:34, dog-man wrote:

it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

Should be designed to cope with any water pressure it is likely to meet,
more likely a dodgy inlet valve, or something has got into the valve
preventing it sealing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:34:37 -0800 (PST), dog-man wrote:

Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and
being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

Unless your water pressure is very high then no.

I have had several washing machines / dishwashers in this house and
never had this problem before.

Which indicates that your water pressure is not a problem.

It's new FFS! Stop faffing about and get onto your supplier to sort it out
for free under the warranty.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dog-man writes:
I have a new Hotpoint washer / dryer. It's only about a month old.

Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and
being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Could it be a water pressure problem?

I have had several washing machines / dishwashers in this house and
never had this problem before.

Inlet valve letting past is most likely as others have said.

Another possibility is the waste plumbing. If it's been done
incorrectly, you might have the sink and/or other waste
entering the machine via the waste hose. This will usually
start to pong eventually as it's not clean water.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't be the waste outlet as it is a standpipe and that was the first
thing I checked. No blockages or anything wrong there.

The water that comes into the machine seems to be clean, so I believe
it is coming from the water inlet.

I think I will contact the supplier as I don't see why I should
concern myself with it after only a month or so.

Steve..........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 27, 11:34*pm, Skipweasel wrote:
In article 31f486ec-3d6a-44ff-b930-05ddc9b4d376
@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says... Before I shout at the supplier, has anyone any ideas why after use and
being empty (dry), it will gradually fill up with water even when
powered down.

Flake of scale in the solenoid valve. Take it apart and fettle it, or
replace with one scrounged from a dead machine.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.

Yes if it's some grit from the water supply or some scale that was
loosened by installing the new machine, which is now blocking the
inlet valve from completely closing, the supplier may not consider it
warranty?
However if it's a faulty inlet water valve one would consider it to be
the suppliers responsibility for the warranty period?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:34:20 GMT, Skipweasel wrote:

Flake of scale in the solenoid valve. Take it apart and fettle it, or
replace with one scrounged from a dead machine.

Possibly but this a new machine, less than a month old. As I said stop
faffing about and get it fixed under warranty. If you (the OP) start
piddling with it they'll just say you borked it and bye bye warranty...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-01-27 22:12:21 +0000, terry said:

[...]

The damn thing is a month old. It was installed and is now faulty.
That's it.

Why are you even contemplating dicking around with it?

All you need to do is to call the supplier and insist that they come
and fix it, and not get into a discussion with them as to why it may
have a problem.

The solution is almost certainly that they would replace the solenoid
valve, a component costing ten pounds at the most. They are highly
unlikely to take it apart and look - it would cost more than the part
and attendance cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:26:30 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It's new FFS! Stop faffing about and get onto your supplier to sort it
out for free under the warranty.

The *only* reason to pay over-the-top new prices for anything is the
warranty. Make use of it!