Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default bayonette light fitting security timer?

I have one of those electronic timers that plugs into a socket so I
can set a lamp to come on at programmed times when I am out. I've
realised a certain hall light gives a great impression of someone
being in by the way it throws light to other rooms. I'm sure I once
came across a timer that fits between the bayonette ceiling fitting
and the actual bulb - maybe in a catalogue - but I can't find it
again. Problem is with my terminology. Anyone know what I mean and/or
have recommendations? A table lamp in the hall plugged into my
current socket timer doesn't have the same effect as the ceiling
light.
Thanks in advance
AA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:58:24 -0800 (PST), AA wrote:

I have one of those electronic timers that plugs into a socket so I
can set a lamp to come on at programmed times when I am out. I've
realised a certain hall light gives a great impression of someone
being in by the way it throws light to other rooms. I'm sure I once
came across a timer that fits between the bayonette ceiling fitting
and the actual bulb - maybe in a catalogue - but I can't find it
again. Problem is with my terminology. Anyone know what I mean and/or
have recommendations? A table lamp in the hall plugged into my
current socket timer doesn't have the same effect as the ceiling
light.
Thanks in advance
AA

I use one of these type of things

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ESECURITY+.htm
( http://tinyurl.com/227bwd )

but its not a true timer, just a dusk-dawn setup, that doesn't work so well
in hallways that are quite dark anyway, and tends to turn itsself on at odd
times.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
I have one of those electronic timers that plugs into a socket so I
can set a lamp to come on at programmed times when I am out. I've
realised a certain hall light gives a great impression of someone
being in by the way it throws light to other rooms. I'm sure I once
came across a timer that fits between the bayonette ceiling fitting
and the actual bulb - maybe in a catalogue - but I can't find it
again. Problem is with my terminology. Anyone know what I mean and/or
have recommendations? A table lamp in the hall plugged into my
current socket timer doesn't have the same effect as the ceiling
light.

Don't know about that; however I'm sure you can get replacement light
switches with built-in timers such as you need.

Not sure if this is one of them as the description is worse than
useless, however you get the idea:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92842/Electrical/Timers/Digital-Timer-Switch-Frame-3A-240V

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Don't know about that; however I'm sure you can get replacement light
switches with built-in timers such as you need.

A friend once showed me a light switch he had replaced with a gadget which
simulated occupation by switching a light on and off at irregular times for
an unpredictable amount of on time. This might be what you need?

Voltage at light fitting when light switch off ? LaserMark[_2_] UK diy 18 September 16th 07 12:07 PM
Problems fitting a boiler timer switch... wallerdm UK diy 1 August 12th 06 02:50 PM
security light NC UK diy 7 September 24th 05 02:16 PM
fitting an outside light - problem getting the power cable to light, any ideas? Kam_UK UK diy 1 November 24th 04 04:33 PM
Security light with PIR? anon UK diy 5 August 22nd 04 11:44 PM