Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems fitting a boiler timer switch...

Hi there,

The ancient boiler timer we inherited when we bought our house finally
packed in and needed replacing (all of the gears inside had become
dislodged and weren't connecting).

I tried to work out which wires were connected to which bits of the old
timer but couldn't really make much out as there were no markings on
the old connectors.

I've now bought a cheap mechanical timer switch from Focus and can't
quite figure out my wiring setup to get it working.

Coming from the boiler I have 1 cable made up of:

Blue (presume neutral)
Brown (presume live)
Yellow / green (earth)
From the wall (at the top) I have 1 cable made up of:
Red (?)
Blue (?)
Yellow (?)
Yellow / green (earth)
From the wall (at the bottom from an external fuse / switch) I have 1

cable made up of:
Black (presume neutral)
Red (presume live)
Yellow / green (earth)

On the actual timer switch I have connectors for:

N in
L in
N out
L out 1 (no connector)
L out 2

If anyone can offer any advice or even help to clarify what some of
these wires are I would really appreciate it. I don't know too much
about electrical wiring - enough to sort out light fittings and
switches and this has totally foxed me.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's great - thank you.

Couple with a bit of logical thinking it all works now.

Thanks again.

How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v? Steve W Woodworking 32 April 28th 06 11:15 PM
Variable-speed timer switch LurfysMa Home Repair 5 January 21st 06 04:48 PM
Saunier Duval 623 Boiler timer ITguy_uk UK diy 6 November 17th 04 08:21 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch Nick UK diy 20 January 20th 04 07:57 PM