Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

Default Variable-speed timer switch

We have one of those whole house fans. It works great. The only
problem is that it is very noisy. It does have a variable-speed
control (rheostat?) so that we can turn it on at various speeds from
high to low.

What it doesn't have is a timer that will allow us to set it to run
for a couple of hours and then shut off. In the summer, we often need
it to run for awhile after we have gone to sleep, but not all night.

I went to the local electric store and asked if anyone makes a
combination variable-speed and times switch the guy said no. I know
that I can wire a timer switch in series with the variable-speed
switch, but then I need to cut another hole in the wall.

Does anyone know where I might find a combination switch that will
allow me to set the speed and also a timer for up to, say, 4 hours?

I tried Google for variable-speed and timer and switch, but I got
either timers or variable speed switches, not both.

Thanks

--
For email, use

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

this handles up to a 1hp motor for $31.25 at:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/39_766_133

Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On 20 Jan 2006 19:00:26 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...ath/39_766_133

That switch will turn the motor one and off (up to 36 times each day),
but I did not see any variable speed capability.

--
For email, use
Posted to alt.home.repair

X 10 will do all that and more, commonly available probably still at
radio shack although they are converting to toy stores

turn on lights all thru home, dim them, work by timer and also by
wireless remote controls

Posted to alt.home.repair
LurfysMa

On 20 Jan 2006 19:35:43 -0800, "
wrote:

X 10 will do all that and more, commonly available probably still at
radio shack although they are converting to toy stores

turn on lights all thru home, dim them, work by timer and also by
wireless remote controls

Is X10 stable and reliable now? I looked into it briefly a number of
years ago (hmmmm, maybe 15?) and it seemed to have a lot of problems.

Each "unit" (light switch, etc.) has an address or ID and digital
signals are sent over the house wiring, right?

I would need to buy an X10 switch for each device (light, fan, etc.)
that I want to control, right?

Then I need a controller, right? Is this a stand-alone unit or can I
buy software for a PC? If so, does the PC need to be dedicated to the
X10 system?

I see several web sites:

www.x10.com
www.x10-direct.com
www.x10.com
www.smarthome.com

Any that are better than others?

The bes ng is comp.home.automation, right?

Thanks

--
For email, use