Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power flushing CH system

I've just had a new central heating pump put in as the old one was
leaking to earth and tripping the rcd switch.

The plumber said there was probably a lot of sludge in the system and
this could have damaged the old pump, and I should think about having a
power flush. However, when he drained the system, the water coming out
of the hose looked clear, and a quick google on this group suggests that
a power flush isn't necessarily worth doing.

Is it worth my taking a radiator off and flushing it myself to check for
sludge? Or is the clear water (although I only checked it once during
the process) from the draining down sufficient proof that it doesn't
need doing? Any other suggestions I haven't thought of are very welcome
- this is a long way from being my area of expertise.

- guy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Snape wrote:
I've just had a new central heating pump put in as the old one was
leaking to earth and tripping the rcd switch.

The plumber said there was probably a lot of sludge in the system and
this could have damaged the old pump, and I should think about having
a power flush. However, when he drained the system, the water coming
out of the hose looked clear, and a quick google on this group
suggests that a power flush isn't necessarily worth doing.

Is it worth my taking a radiator off and flushing it myself to check
for sludge? Or is the clear water (although I only checked it once
during the process) from the draining down sufficient proof that it
doesn't need doing? Any other suggestions I haven't thought of are
very welcome - this is a long way from being my area of expertise.

- guy

If the rads are noticably cold at the bottom when the heatings on high, then
they may need flushing.

I did two in a couple of hours yesterday, simply turned of the flow at each
end, uncoupled and with the help of a friend, carried into the back yard for
a serious blast out with the hosepipe - the sludge was the blackest of
black, and my jeans, despite three washes, are still stained.
One of the rads was particularly bad, and judging from the sludge on the
patio, there must have been at least a few kilos of the stuff in it - only
the top 2 inches ever got hot, and this is a 6 foot long radiator!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the rads are noticably cold at the bottom when the heatings on high,
then they may need flushing.

I did two in a couple of hours yesterday, simply turned of the flow at
each end, uncoupled and with the help of a friend, carried into the back
yard for a serious blast out with the hosepipe - the sludge was the
blackest of black, and my jeans, despite three washes, are still stained.
One of the rads was particularly bad, and judging from the sludge on the
patio, there must have been at least a few kilos of the stuff in it - only
the top 2 inches ever got hot, and this is a 6 foot long radiator!!

Presumably some parts of the pipe runs are even lower than the bottom of the
radiators. Whilst the flow through a pipe may have a purging effect, you
will also have sludge settling in the pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:28:05 +0000, John wrote:

If the rads are noticably cold at the bottom when the heatings on high,
then they may need flushing.

I did two in a couple of hours yesterday, simply turned of the flow at
each end, uncoupled and with the help of a friend, carried into the
back yard for a serious blast out with the hosepipe - the sludge was
the blackest of black, and my jeans, despite three washes, are still
stained. One of the rads was particularly bad, and judging from the
sludge on the patio, there must have been at least a few kilos of the
stuff in it - only the top 2 inches ever got hot, and this is a 6 foot
long radiator!!

Presumably some parts of the pipe runs are even lower than the bottom of
the radiators. Whilst the flow through a pipe may have a purging effect,
you will also have sludge settling in the pipes.

That's when things start to go really wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

The ones I flushed seem to be working perfectly, although I agree that, as
my pipes are lower than the rads, these too must be full of ****.
I still have one radiator downstairs to do (upstairs ones are fine), but
surely, emptying the downstairs ones, must in some way help towards clearing
the sludge in the pipes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

I have never had a great deal of sludge when I have removed radiators for
decorating - any sludge removed must help - I wish systems always had a
sludge trap that was easily serviceable.

There must be a heck of a lot for it to effect the radiators.

Power flushing a central heating system jack UK diy 1 November 23rd 06 10:16 PM
Power Flushing CH system RzB UK diy 4 November 13th 06 07:59 PM
Flushing out the system Jayne UK diy 0 November 17th 04 02:48 PM
Flushing a CH system Richard Savage UK diy 19 May 6th 04 08:06 PM
power flushing a central heating system Mark Caszo UK diy 8 November 12th 03 02:33 PM