Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpaper matching

Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants got
the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result papering
the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has said if we
can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same standard as
the rest of the room.

I do not have any local wallpaper shops with pattern books etc, so can
anyone reccommend a way of identifying my wallpaper, perhaps a website of
patterns?

thanks

Vernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote:
Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants
got the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result
papering the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has
said if we can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same
standard as the rest of the room.

I do not have any local wallpaper shops with pattern books etc, so can
anyone reccommend a way of identifying my wallpaper, perhaps a website of
patterns?

thanks

Vernon

Unless you can contact the previous occupants and they remember where they
bought the paper, you are looking for a needle in a haystack. The patterns
change every couple of years so unless the original paper was bought
recently you are unlikely to be able to source a matching replacement with
the same batch number. If you could find matching rolls the original paper
may have faded slightly so they will not be a perfect match. Depends how
fussy you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:41:08 GMT, "Vernon"
wrote:

Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants got
the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result papering
the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has said if we
can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same standard as
the rest of the room.

If the fire was mounted on a chimney breast, you could simply replace
the paper on that with something that looks OK with the rest of the
room.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine says...
wrote:

Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants got
the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result papering
the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has said if we
can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same standard as
the rest of the room.

If the fire was mounted on a chimney breast, you could simply replace
the paper on that with something that looks OK with the rest of the
room.

Yes, actually use entirely different wallpaper that
complements the look of the other paper and room.
My Mrs does things like that - doing one wall with a
different but complementary colour or paper.
It won't work if the other paper is too similar in terms of
pattern or colour - they will just clash.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the fire was mounted on a chimney breast, you could simply replace
the paper on that with something that looks OK with the rest of the
room.

Yes, actually use entirely different wallpaper that
complements the look of the other paper and room.
My Mrs does things like that - doing one wall with a
different but complementary colour or paper.
It won't work if the other paper is too similar in terms of
pattern or colour - they will just clash.

Hmm that plan sounds like a good idea, being a typical bloke I have no idea
about what would and would not go though! I have put some pictures of the
paper up here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nwatson6/CCTV/horiz.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nwatson6/CCTV/vertical.jpg

any ideas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine says...
wrote:

[...]

Was fashionable in the 50s, and again now by the sound of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants

got
the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result papering
the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has said if we
can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same standard

as
the rest of the room.

I do not have any local wallpaper shops with pattern books etc, so can
anyone reccommend a way of identifying my wallpaper, perhaps a website of
patterns?

thanks

Vernon

Who said you have to paper all the room? I presume this fire is on a chimney
breast wall? can you not just paper the wall of the chimney breast and
alcoves?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vernon says...

If the fire was mounted on a chimney breast, you could simply replace
the paper on that with something that looks OK with the rest of the
room.

Yes, actually use entirely different wallpaper that
complements the look of the other paper and room.
My Mrs does things like that - doing one wall with a
different but complementary colour or paper.
It won't work if the other paper is too similar in terms of
pattern or colour - they will just clash.

Hmm that plan sounds like a good idea, being a typical bloke I have no idea
about what would and would not go though! I have put some pictures of the
paper up here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nwatson6/CCTV/horiz.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nwatson6/CCTV/vertical.jpg

any ideas

What colour is the paper - I just looked at your photos and
they look grey. Presumably that is an artefact of
photography. Is the paper perhaps cream or white?

According to the Mrs, if white, then your options are wide
open as many colours will go with white. Is there a
predominant colour in the room e.g. carpet / curtains or
furniture? If so you could match to that and just use a
plain unpatterned paper of the same colour?

I'm not very good at colour matching either. Some colours
sound awful in theory but work well in practice,
particularly the slightly louder ones such as a small area
of lavender against everything else white.
--
David in Normandy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
Having removed an ancient Baxi Bermuda fire, we are left with a patch of
wall with damaged wallpaper, I do not know where the previous occupants
got the paper from, but it has been very very well hung, as a result
papering the whole room is a no no. I have spoken to a decorator who has
said if we can get the paper, he can replace the damaged rolls to the same
standard as the rest of the room.

I do not have any local wallpaper shops with pattern books etc, so can
anyone reccommend a way of identifying my wallpaper, perhaps a website of
patterns?

Have you looked in your loft, garage roof space, understairs cupboards etc?
I was once in a similar situation and found two unopened rolls in a bin bag
in the loft whilst up there looking for something else. Luckily I found
them the day before I planned on stripping the rest of the paper off! You
never know you may be lucky.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:21:23 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Vernon" wrote in message
[...]

If that doesn't work take a picture of the paper to the local
wallpapering shop if you have one and ask them.
If they don't know (or you don't have an independent one, and the
sheds don't have it) then repapre just that wall in a contrasting
paper.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

Matching Bricks Gareth Jones UK diy 9 June 4th 07 02:19 PM
Matching old JMC brick Home Repair 2 May 25th 07 04:25 AM
Matching Paint [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 12th 06 12:58 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
Impedance matching 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan Electronics 1 February 11th 05 11:15 PM