Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small hole Concrete Mix

I want to fill in a mat-pit, just inside my front door. It's
500x800x25mm. I'd like to use just a sand and cement screed. The
sides and bottom are part of the concrete slab.

I'm going to put travatine stone on top.

What mix should I use?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 10, 1:39*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
I want to fill in a mat-pit, just inside my front door. *It's
500x800x25mm. *I'd like to use just a sand and cement screed. *The
sides and bottom are part of the concrete slab.

I'm going to put travatine stone on top.

What mix should I use?

R.

Whatever you like. 6:1 should be fine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:
On Jan 10, 1:39�pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
I want to fill in a mat-pit, just inside my front door. �It's
500x800x25mm. �I'd like to use just a sand and cement screed. �The
sides and bottom are part of the concrete slab.

I'm going to put travatine stone on top.

What mix should I use?

R.

Whatever you like. 6:1 should be fine

Tend to disagree, suspect that would crack too easily. TBH I would
simply fill it with tile cement ..and some gravel, mixed together. You
need the tile cement anyway. Why buy a bag of cement when you already
are going to need loads of tile cement?

wet it a bit first as well, or paint on PVA to avoid removing moisture
from whatever you lay.

If you must use sand and cement, go towards 3:1 IMHO. Less crumbly. 6:1
is really friable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:28:59 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

adder1969 wrote:
On Jan 10, 1:39�pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
I want to fill in a mat-pit, just inside my front door. �It's
500x800x25mm. �I'd like to use just a sand and cement screed. �The
sides and bottom are part of the concrete slab.

I'm going to put travatine stone on top.

What mix should I use?

R.

Whatever you like. 6:1 should be fine

Tend to disagree, suspect that would crack too easily. TBH I would
simply fill it with tile cement ..and some gravel, mixed together. You
need the tile cement anyway. Why buy a bag of cement when you already
are going to need loads of tile cement?

wet it a bit first as well, or paint on PVA to avoid removing moisture
from whatever you lay.

If you must use sand and cement, go towards 3:1 IMHO. Less crumbly. 6:1
is really friable.

Well, I've got both, and plenty of cement, so I'll do a 3:1 mix.

The Tile Cement is special stuff for the travetine over UFH screed (and
b.....y expensive).

Thank Guys.

R.