Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small hole in hot warer cylinder

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 14:32:14 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed
shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in the
cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket is
getting full rather too fast.

My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.

Any ideas for other bodges.

I glued a cracked Land Rover engine with JB Weld - I'm sure it'll do
for your cyclinder.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed
shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in the
cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket is
getting full rather too fast.

My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.

I did this once and it was so successful I forget about it. It must have
lasted 8 years at least!

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote:
I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed
shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in the
cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket is
getting full rather too fast.

My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.

Any ideas for other bodges.

If the area needs to be dry then if you drain the tank epoxy putty may well
tide you over. Tide?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay
wrote

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Codswallop" wrote in message
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote:
I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed
shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in the
cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket is
getting full rather too fast.

My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.

Any ideas for other bodges.

If the area needs to be dry then if you drain the tank epoxy putty may
well tide you over. Tide?

The "plumbers" stuff will even work if it is wet. If the hole is small
enough you won't need to drain. Won't do mains pressure but will seal over a
few feet static head (might need a plate wedged over while it sets).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , Brian Reay
wrote

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.

Isn't that treasonable or something, punishable by hanging...?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Newshound" writes:
The "plumbers" stuff will even work if it is wet. If the hole is small
enough you won't need to drain. Won't do mains pressure but will seal over a
few feet static head (might need a plate wedged over while it sets).

Just beware the area around the hole might all be very thin and
delicate -- if you touch it, you might end up with a much bigger
hole.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I have a small hole in my Hot Water Cylinder which is to be removed
shortly. It is at the junction with the water inlet pipe, but in
the cylinder itself. I can feel the water spraying out. The bucket
is getting full rather too fast.

My first idea is epoxy putty, which I have in stock.

Any ideas for other bodges.

Get a match stick and use a sharp knife to make a long tapered point at one
end. Shove the point firmly in the hole.

As a kid about 50 years ago, I mended a metal water butt like this after I
had accidentally thrown a dart through the side - and the match stick was
still firmly in place when we scrapped the butt many years later!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Brian Reay
wrote

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.

Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal. It
might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin,
but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-11 22:47:02 +0000, TheOldFellow said:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Brian Reay
wrote

Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.

Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal. It
might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin,
but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!

R.

Hmm... I'm not sure that Danes would describe themselves as Oriental....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-11 22:47:02 +0000, TheOldFellow said:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Brian Reay
wrote
Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with
wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.
Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low
value coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.

Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal.
It
might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin,
but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!
R.

Hmm... I'm not sure that Danes would describe themselves as Oriental....

They're still forriners

.... fizzy beer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-11 22:47:02 +0000, TheOldFellow said:

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Brian Reay
wrote
Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.
Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.
Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal. It
might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin,
but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!
R.

Hmm... I'm not sure that Danes would describe themselves as Oriental....

They're still forriners

... fizzy beer

... and you need a large gob stopper in your mouth in order to speak the
language; sort of in the same way that you need to have a bad case of
catarrh to speak Dutch. They have fizzy beer as well - worse than
Danish fizzy beer.

I've always wondered how come the Belgians (who in general have a good
reputation for (some) beer), ever started Stella Artois; although
apparently it's the biggest selling drinks brand in Europe now -
according to the BA Business Magazine (so it must be right).

The holes in the coins are eminently sensible, though - allows them to
be threaded on a piece of string so that they don't get lost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:36:31 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

|On 2006-11-12 01:05:42 +0000, raden said:
|
| In message , Andy Hall writes
| On 2006-11-11 22:47:02 +0000, TheOldFellow said:
|
| On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:02:56 +0000, Alan wrote:
|
| In message , Brian Reay
| wrote
| Drain the tank, at least until only 1/2 full. A good clean with wire wool
| and solder it- plenty of flux and heat.
| Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
| coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.
| Model shops sell very low temperature solder for use on white metal. It
| might just work with a big iron onto clean copper. Use a foreign coin,
| but not one of those oriental ones with a hole in the middle!
| R.
|
| Hmm... I'm not sure that Danes would describe themselves as Oriental....
|

| They're still forriners
|
| ... fizzy beer
|
|.. and you need a large gob stopper in your mouth in order to speak the
|language; sort of in the same way that you need to have a bad case of
|catarrh to speak Dutch. They have fizzy beer as well - worse than
|Danish fizzy beer.
|
|I've always wondered how come the Belgians (who in general have a good
|reputation for (some) beer), ever started Stella Artois; although
|apparently it's the biggest selling drinks brand in Europe now -
|according to the BA Business Magazine (so it must be right).
|
|The holes in the coins are eminently sensible, though - allows them to
|be threaded on a piece of string so that they don't get lost.

Thanks for the suggestions. Epoxy putty won the day, job done and water
tight :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-11 22:47:02 +0000, TheOldFellow said:

[...]

That would be selective memory operating there

They do also brew some pretty insipid crap too

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:17:25 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

Get a match stick and use a sharp knife to make a long tapered point at one
end. Shove the point firmly in the hole.

As a kid about 50 years ago, I mended a metal water butt like this after I
had accidentally thrown a dart through the side - and the match stick was
still firmly in place when we scrapped the butt many years later!

Pretty good idea that, presumably the wood swells up and creates a
better seal.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Get a match stick and use a sharp knife to make a long tapered point
at one end. Shove the point firmly in the hole.

Pretty good idea that, presumably the wood swells up and creates a
better seal.

DG

Yes.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

Or solder something over the top of the hole - I've used a low value
coin of the realm as a patch. for something similar in the past.

Pick an old "copper", recent ones are steel that's been electroplated.

Ovalizing a hole Steve B Metalworking 6 May 28th 06 04:37 PM
Putting a hole in a frame rail. B.B. Metalworking 25 January 3rd 06 07:10 AM
Drilling a small hole in thick porcelain. N Cook UK diy 5 September 8th 05 10:58 AM
Hot water cylinder Pandora UK diy 67 November 4th 04 09:02 PM
BIG HOLE, NO BRAINS, NEED ANSWER Richard Ferguson Metalworking 16 May 5th 04 03:49 PM