Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New toilet continually draws water

Hello,

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop
this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have
contacted the installers to return.

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello,

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop
this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have
contacted the installers to return.

Thanks again.

It's pretty certainly the type with an internal overflow - and it's
overflowing into the bowl because the level is too high.

There must be a float device of some sort - even if not a conventional
ball - to turn off the water when the required level is reached. You should
have a device which looks a bit like:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14716/...-Cistern-Valve
or maybe like:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95200/...de-Inlet-Valve

In either case the water level can be adjusted by rotating the threaded
plastic float hanger, which moves the float up and down relative to the
valve's operating point.

If the float is well and truly submerged but *still* doesn't stop the flow,
there is something seriously wrong with the valve and it will need to be
replaced.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

wrote in message
Hello,

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop
this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have
contacted the installers to return.

Thanks again.

Get MFI back to do it right

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop
this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have
contacted the installers to return.

Further to the other posters, it 'could' be the overflow, or it may be a
leaking siphon.
I fitted one 2 weeks ago that leaked immediately it was put in.
Usually it is a bit of dust/grit on the seal, and it clears after a day,
but this one would not stop leaking, so i fitted a new one, which cured
the fault immediately.
This was a centre push siphon, with a large rubber washer for the seal,
when taken apart, there didnt seem to be any fault at all with it.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 04:12:09 -0800, theregistry786 wrote:

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

As others have said the inlet valve is not cutting off the water supply.
Check whether the WC is supplied from the mains or from a tank in the roof
(if you have one). If the latter then the inlet valve may be designed for
high pressure only (most continental-design cisterns are) and not work
properly under low pressure (been there, done that).

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 12:12, wrote:
Hello,

I have just had (yesteday) MFI installers put in a new downstairs
toilet. Unfortunately i have just realised it is continually drawing
water into the cistern and dropping it into the bowl. The toilet does
not have any overflow.

What would be the easiest way to stop this (no ball exists) to stop
this as it seems do draw a lot of water for no reason. I have
contacted the installers to return.

Thanks again.

Is it a push-button type flush?
If so, try removing the button (they screw out) and re-inserting it.

I had this problem with mine and I think the button was casuing the
rods on the float to twist and not allow the valve to close properly.

Mark.