Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven connector

Oven blew fuse. On investigation a partially melted connector block
appears to be the problem. This is the main junction in the wiring
loom. Its a white nylon two part block. The two parts snap together,
or they did 'till one side melted.12 wires in 12 wires out. In other
words they just go straight through. I cannot establish how these
wires are secured to the connector block.
First question. What is this type of connector called ?
Second question. Can I re-wire one if I get my hands on it and how
would I do this ?
Third question. Given the environment (Back of an oven under the rear
of the hob) Is it likely to be anything special in the way of heat
resistance etc. ?
Final questions. Could I remake the connections with a choc block?
Would I need to protect the choc block from the heat? Is a screw type
fixing a bad idea in an area that may suffer extreme temperature
variations ?

I only have tomorrow to sort this out before Christmas day !!

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

First question. What is this type of connector called ?

the world is not as standardized as I would prefer - there is no
death penalty for causing un-necessary increases in entropy. So, call
the manufacturer and ask what __he__ calls it.

Second question. Can I re-wire one if I get my hands on it and how
would I do this ?

I will guess that it's some flavor of compression fitting
("crimp"), but - ask the manufacturer

Third question. Given the environment (Back of an oven under the rear
of the hob) Is it likely to be anything special in the way of heat
resistance etc. ?

maybe it __should have__ been.

Would I need to protect the choc block from the heat?

just read the manufacturer's advisories that come with the
fixture

Is a screw type
fixing a bad idea in an area that may suffer extreme temperature
variations ?

temperature is probably not the issue. Temperature change per
unit time is more likely the showstopper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 23, 7:03*pm, wrote:
First question. What is this type of connector called ?

* *the world is not as standardized as I would prefer - there is no
death penalty for causing un-necessary increases in entropy. So, call
the manufacturer and ask what *__he__ *calls it.

Well tomorrow is Christmas Eve which is why I turned to this group for
an answer. Also given that the connector is slightly melted it would
be extremely difficult to read the name on it, if it had one. And
lastly this type of connector can be found in all kinds of machinery
incl.cars so it is not specific to the oven manufacturer any more than
the 3 pin plug on your hairdryer

Second question. Can I re-wire one if I get my hands on it and how
would I do this ?

* * *I will guess that it's some flavor of compression fitting
("crimp"), but - ask the manufacturer

This is tiresome. If I could ask the manufacturer I would not ask the
question here.

Third question. Given the environment (Back of an oven under the rear
of the hob) Is it likely to be anything special in the way of heat
resistance etc. ?

* *maybe it *__should have__ *been.

I _ really _ don't _ get _ your_ obsession_ with_ underscores. Is it
perhaps an indication of intelligence ? Hmmmmmmmmm works doesn't it.

Would I need to protect the choc block from the heat?

* * * *just read the manufacturer's advisories that come with the
fixture

Why did you bother to reply to my query when you are being merely
fascetious and puerile

Is a screw type
fixing a bad idea in an area that may suffer extreme temperature
variations ?

* * * *temperature is probably not the issue. Temperature change per
unit time is more likely the showstopper.

Well I didn't specify just temperature but temperature variation. I
don't imagine it would require any great intelligence to comprehend
the temperature variations and the time scale involved.

Nice try but not worth the biscuit.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Only_a_thought_but [sorry, couldn't resist it!] how about a trip to
the local tip in the morning and see if you can find something similar
[ish] to tide you over? Doesn't need to be exactly the same just heat
res. with roughly same number of connections. Other than that go
with your original idea
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Can't help with the proper name etc. but since you only have Monday to sort
then for a temporary solution look at the battery connectors at
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...did=&doy=23m12
AFAIK the wires are a substantial size and are heat resitant.
If you only have a few melted connections then can you bridge them with
these and use choc blocks in a cooler location?

Many of these multicore connector blocks have the pins/sockets secured in
the plastic shell by barbs on the side of the pins/sockets see
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/gz98g.jpg for an example.

I've just noticed that the hard drive power splitter cables I have lying
around are rated at 80deg C and 18awg - like these
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Perip...+?productId=86

PeterK

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 23, 9:34*pm, wrote:
Only_a_thought_but [sorry, couldn't resist it!] * how about a trip to
the local tip in the morning and see if you can find something similar
[ish] to tide you over? *Doesn't need to be exactly the same just heat
res. with roughly same number of connections. * Other than that go
with your original idea

Thanks for the suggestion. Might just do that

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

then for a temporary solution look at the battery connectors athttp://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?menuno=13280&MenuName=Battery%20C...
AFAIK the wires are a substantial size and are heat resitant.
If you only have a few melted connections then can you bridge them with
these and use choc blocks in a cooler location?

Many of these multicore connector blocks have the pins/sockets secured in
the plastic shell by barbs on the side of the pins/sockets *seehttp://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/gz98g.jpgfor an example.

I've just noticed that the hard drive power splitter cables I have lying
around are rated at 80deg C and 18awg - like thesehttp://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Cabling/Power/5.25+to+2x+5...

PeterK

PeterK- Hide quoted text -

Very helpful. The wiring is actually quite light. Not unlike what you
might see in a wiring loom. If all else fails I'll use choc blocks as
a stop gap measure.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Do the wires need to be separated, or does it look to be just like that
because the way it was manufactured?

If so, could you solder and (High Temperature) heat shrink them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:48:15 -0000, "Sparks"
wrote:

Do the wires need to be separated, or does it look to be just like that
because the way it was manufactured?

If so, could you solder and (High Temperature) heat shrink them?

I'd go for ceramic choc-blocks if I could get them in time.

Screw terminals seem to be used for connecting elements in (amongst
others) storage heaters so should be OK.

The inside wiring (including connectors) of modern electric ovens gets
biscuity and crispened after a few years anyway, so it's probably not
got long on this earth.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Derek Geldard
writes
wrote:

Do the wires need to be separated, or does it look to be just like that
because the way it was manufactured?

If so, could you solder and (High Temperature) heat shrink them?

I'd go for ceramic choc-blocks if I could get them in time.

Yeah - available from any RS counter

open tomorrow ... or today now

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Derek Geldard writes:
The inside wiring (including connectors) of modern electric ovens gets
biscuity and crispened after a few years anyway, so it's probably not
got long on this earth.

Check the thermal insulation around the oven cavity hasn't
got displaced, causing excess heat to leak out.

--
Andrew Gabriel