Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screeching tumble dryer?

Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
.......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

I have an ancient Bendix (Thorn) Superdry 90 that does the same
thing, and I can tell you why mine does it.
The front of the drum is supported on a circular hoop
around the door aperture The drum only bares against
this hoop along a small segment at the top of the hoop
and it was originally stove-enamelled (or at least some similar
coating) which reduced the friction. This has warn away.
I am considering replacing the machine but if
anyone has any ideas about something that can be painted on...
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:05:40 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

I have an ancient Bendix (Thorn) Superdry 90 that does the same
thing, and I can tell you why mine does it.
The front of the drum is supported on a circular hoop
around the door aperture The drum only bares against
this hoop along a small segment at the top of the hoop
and it was originally stove-enamelled (or at least some similar
coating) which reduced the friction. This has warn away.
I am considering replacing the machine but if
anyone has any ideas about something that can be painted on...

Hmm, I wonder if the bearings on both our ancient machines have gone
Graham and are allowing the drums to drop at the opposite end and
touch something they shouldn't?

But at the same time I'm not sure a bearing (or two) could support
such a deep drum for this many years without a bit of slack (over that
length especially)?

Feeling up inside the top edge of ours and I think I can feel what
could be some felt or something and I think I've seen felt mentioned
on a spares website somewhere? It was only £8 or summat so a good £140
cheaper than a replacement dryer.

This is similar to the first one I found and has a better picture ..

http://www.appliancepartsdirect.co.u...-Drum-Bearing/

I think I might be feeling the edge of the lip that would hold such a
'bearing' in place?

Maybe someone who has changed such could comment (in case there are
other bit's that would need to be done at the same time, potentially
making the job not economically viable)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

Probably best to let the cat dry naturally.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:53:58 -0000, "Mark"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

Probably best to let the cat dry naturally.

Hmmm, cat's .. mutter .... :-)

I didn't think to do it at the time Mark but maybe I could have tumble
dried the one that climbed in our downstairs toilet window, fell into
the toilet and then shredded the wallpaper in it's panic to get out?

I think all cat's should be DNA tested at the point of ownership so
their damage and mess can be billed to their owners?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Dec, 20:18, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." *(one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

Check for bra wires. Your wife will explain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:03:09 -0800 (PST), Mr Fuxit
wrote:

On 22 Dec, 20:18, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." *(one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

Check for bra wires. Your wife will explain.

Hmm, so I guess she's be missing a wire for that to be the case ...
I'll ask tho ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:18:56 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

Might be the rear bearing. In many cases this is a very rudimentary
affair, being nothing more than a small stud that sits in a simple
cradle.
Trouble is, the stud can be welded to the drum - and the cradle welded
to the back panel.
That's exactly what's happened to one of my tumblers - and as the worn
stud isn't available as a spare and my lathe isn't wired up, it's a
'project in waiting'.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:23:45 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

[...]

If you could forward me the dimensions of the stud my lathe is wired
up Stephen. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:17:50 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:23:45 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

snip
That's exactly what's happened to one of my tumblers - and as the worn
stud isn't available as a spare and my lathe isn't wired up, it's a
'project in waiting'.

If you could forward me the dimensions of the stud my lathe is wired
up Stephen. ;-)

All the best ..

Ooh cheers..I might well take you up on that kind offer. It'll mean
I'll have to clear the shed out though, just so's I can reach the
dryer....!

Cheers,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 15:08:28 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:17:50 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:23:45 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

snip
That's exactly what's happened to one of my tumblers - and as the worn
stud isn't available as a spare and my lathe isn't wired up, it's a
'project in waiting'.

If you could forward me the dimensions of the stud my lathe is wired
up Stephen. ;-)

All the best ..

Ooh cheers..I might well take you up on that kind offer.

By all means do. ;-)

It'll mean
I'll have to clear the shed out though, just so's I can reach the
dryer....!

That with be a good reason to clear the shed then eh?

I've got to do similar to get my Portapac bottles out and back to BOC
... :-(

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is
running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion,
bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak
......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing.
;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if
it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced /
repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and
seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

Tim,

my old one did this. The drum was supported on a "proper" bearing at
the back, and on a slippery plastic thing all the way around the rim of
the drum at the front. It had worn through. So I rotated it 180 degrees...

Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
T i m wrote:
[...]

Our old Creda tumbler had a proper bearing at the back, but the rim of the
drum had a thick cloth tape around it which was lubricated with some sort of
silicon paste. This just rested on the frame at the front while it revolved.
Made screeching noises when the paste stuff dried out but worked
surprisingly well for many years.

John Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:28:57 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

my old one did this. The drum was supported on a "proper" bearing at
the back, and on a slippery plastic thing all the way around the rim of
the drum at the front. It had worn through. So I rotated it 180 degrees...

Ah, that was the hope I had (being able to turn it round) but didn't
want to give it a go till someone said it was dooable etc.

I'll try and have a look today, thanks. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 01:19:16 -0000, "John Miller"
wrote:

Our old Creda tumbler had a proper bearing at the back, but the rim of the
drum had a thick cloth tape around it which was lubricated with some sort of
silicon paste.

Ok, on mine I think the cloth is felt as I believe I've seen that
mentioned on a parts list for my model.

This just rested on the frame at the front while it revolved.
Made screeching noises when the paste stuff dried out but worked
surprisingly well for many years.

Hmm, but the screeching is now nearly intolerable so I'd like to do
something with it!

I think the felt 'bearing' is retained in a sort of shallow gully and
at the top the felt has worn (or compressed) down to level with the
metal edge of that.

If I take our machine to bits and attempt to rotate the felt (to find
a good bit) it might fall to bits and then no tumble dryer. Andy's
plastic bearing sounded more rotatable.

I might just have a quick look to see how easy the machine is to strip
down to that level and then I can be sure a new felt bearing would do
the job even if I don't touch it at this point.

All the best ..

T i m