Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower doesn't work after refilling cold water storage tank

I was boarding the loft out and emptied the cold water storage tank to
make it lighter so i could get the boards underneath.

I did this by turning the cold water to the house off and running
water out the bath. Later turning the cold water on allowed the tank
to fill as normal.

This morning the shower didn't work at all to start with, but the bath
and sink taps did although not as much water as normal came out, as if
there's less pressure. Puttign the shower in the bottom of the bath
and running it improved things a bit but it's still poor - any ideas?

I think it may be trapped air but how would that stop the shower
working and how do I get it out?

The tank is filling normally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2007 08:58, 405 TD Estate wrote:

I think it may be trapped air but how would that stop the shower
working and how do I get it out?

Sucking and/or blowing through the bath taps may dislodge any airlock,
if that fails, temporarily connect a hosepipe from a mains-fed tap into
the tank-fed one(s) and give them a quick squirt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could be some crap from the bottom of the tank was sucked down the
pipe when you emptied it. Same procedure for clearing an airlock
might cure it.

Is it OK to board under the cold water storage tank? I thought that
this area was normally left clear (no insulation etc) to allow some
wamth from the house to keep the water from freezing.

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
I was boarding the loft out and emptied the cold water storage tank to
make it lighter so i could get the boards underneath.

I did this by turning the cold water to the house off and running
water out the bath. Later turning the cold water on allowed the tank
to fill as normal.

This morning the shower didn't work at all to start with,

What sort of shower? A completely separate one from the bath or do you just
mean one that's part of the bath taps?

but the bath
and sink taps did although not as much water as normal came out, as if
there's less pressure. Puttign the shower in the bottom of the bath
and running it improved things a bit but it's still poor - any ideas?

I think it may be trapped air but how would that stop the shower
working and how do I get it out?

The tank is filling normally.

Probably crap from the bottom of the loft tank has partially blocked the
pipes. Old tanks get a layer of sediment and limescale in them and you might
have washed chunks of this into the outlet. If you connect a mains cold tap
to the affected taps or shower with a hose you might be able to blow the
crap back up into the loft tank.

Might be worth draining the loft tank again and cleaning it out too.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the feed for the shower goes straight upto the loft and I guess
loops round since the tank must feed it. I will try connecting the
shower hose to the mains cold water to back-fill the pipes as it
were.

There was insulation all under the tank before I boarded out the loft
- it's so breezy up there and the tank is on a tall stand so that i
can't see any heat rising from the floor keeping the water warm. The
tank has an insulating jacket on it.

Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank Scott Townsend Home Repair 13 September 28th 15 05:17 AM
Ballcock valve on cold water storage tank Keith Dunbar UK diy 4 August 23rd 07 02:10 PM
cold water storage tank yogi UK diy 11 November 2nd 06 01:33 PM
28mm run from cold storage tank to hot water cylinder [email protected] UK diy 51 September 30th 06 09:43 PM
Cold Water Storage Tank Martin UK diy 5 December 29th 03 08:06 PM