Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remember those iron-and-lead hammer-in masonry fixings?

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JakeD wrote:
Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

I can remember seeing them in a garden centre just a few years ago, if
that helps...

DAvid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JakeD" wrote in message

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

I bought some about a year ago but decided to make more myself using strips
of lead and galvanised nails.

Try google for: lead vine eyes or hammer in vine eyes

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Probably various names but perhaps "lead headed nails" as at
http://www.thegarden.co.uk/showpage....Ties+%26+Fixes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JakeD wrote:
Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

This any halp?

http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/info_N155830.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Used to be the GPO's external fixing of choice! [ well up int north
o't country anyhow ] our local ironmongers [yep, still got 'em, fork
'andles and all] still stocks them, sells them by the pound!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
JakeD wrote:
Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

This any halp?

http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/info_N155830.html

Those are the very things that hold my mam's coax cable from the TV aerial
on the roof to the wall as it drops down to the living room.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JakeD" wrote in message

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

JD

Got a few left in a box in the workshop - Hiatts is the name on the box.
Donkeys years old.
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote :
"JakeD" wrote in message

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

JD

Got a few left in a box in the workshop - Hiatts is the name on the box.
Donkeys years old.
David

BT (well GPO then) used to use them for fixing cables down walls
outdoors.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:42:42 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

DavidM wrote :
"JakeD" wrote in message

Can anyone remember those iron & lead masonry staple thingies designed
for training plants up walls, etc? It was a sort of iron nail (square
section) with a bendable lead (or zinc) arm attached to the head. The
arm was made of lead so that it could be bent easily. The iron nail
itself was about an inch and a quarter long and the lead arm piece
about one inch long. Are they still available? Anyone point me to an
online seller? Or even tell me the correct name for those things?

Many thanks,

JD

Got a few left in a box in the workshop - Hiatts is the name on the box.
Donkeys years old.
David

BT (well GPO then) used to use them for fixing cables down walls
outdoors.

Indeed. They were colloquially known as "lead lugs", but the official
title was "Nails, Cable Fixing".

--
Frank Erskine