Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath

Default Advice on brass masonry fixings?

Hi

I need to fix a fairly heavy bronze lion's head to my brick garden wall
(don't ask!). I've just got myself some of these 68mm M10 shield
anchors

Functionally they're the right thing for the job, but the hex heads on
the bolts are not very appealing and don't go with the bronze. So I'm
looking for alternative ways of fixing the thing.

Ideally I would like to use the sleeve of the shield anchor, but put a
brass bolt in it in place of the bolt supplied with it. This sort of
thing would be great
but Screwfix only supply them up to 50mm which isn't long enough for
the sleeve - I would need 75mm. Anyone know where I could get any
longer ones? I can't find anything on the internet.

Otherwise perhaps I could stick with the 50mm brass bolts from Screwfix
and use these fixings instead
Are they suitable for the job? I've never used them before. If I do
it's all going to get expensive - I'll have to buy a bag of 50 of them
plus a "setting tool".

Or any other neat solutions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Martin Pentreath wrote:
I need to fix a fairly heavy bronze lion's head to my brick garden wall
(don't ask!). I've just got myself some of these 68mm M10 shield
anchors

Functionally they're the right thing for the job, but the hex heads on
the bolts are not very appealing and don't go with the bronze. So I'm
looking for alternative ways of fixing the thing.

Pictures of the bronze head (back and front) might be
quite useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On 5 Apr 2006 03:46:14 -0700, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

[...]

So you are saying the heads on the brass bolts are more appealing than
the heads on the 68mm M10 ones ......scratches head ...?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com
Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi

I need to fix a fairly heavy bronze lion's head to my brick garden wall
(don't ask!). I've just got myself some of these 68mm M10 shield
anchors

Functionally they're the right thing for the job, but the hex heads on
the bolts are not very appealing and don't go with the bronze. So I'm
looking for alternative ways of fixing the thing.

Get someone with brazing gear to melt a bit of brass onto the heads?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Have you tried these people - they advertise being able to produce
anything !!

http://www.screwsline.co.uk/index.html

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi

I need to fix a fairly heavy bronze lion's head to my brick garden wall

If it is bronze then you should really be using bronze fasteners,
preferably in silicon bronze. These used to be widely available from
chandlers in many different types, but are getting harder to find. You
can order them by email from:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/

Search for "bronze screws" and you'll get a long list of countersunk,
panhead and hex headed screws and carriage bolts.

Personally, I hate shield anchors for this sort of use, much depends on
how heavy, heavy is. But since you say it's door furniture it can't be
into the 10s of kilogrammes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath

Many thanks Rob and Steve.

Just been looking at the Jamestown Distributors site. Looks like they
have what I need, but can anyone translate the US thread dimesions?

What does 1/2-13 X 1-14 mean for example?

The holes on the lions head are the right diameter for a European M10
thread, and I was looking for something 75mm long. The shield anchor
sleeves I have have are M10. If I didn't use those what other sort of
fixings would work? Are wall plugs available that big? The lion's head
weighs in at around 10kg, maybe a bit less.