James Michell

Default Iron bath earthing

What's the point of earthing an iron bath in the bathroom? Surely this
is only going to help you if the bath then somehow becomes live? Which
is not very likely - to put it mildly. Any thoughts?
GB

"James Michell" wrote in message
om...
What's the point of earthing an iron bath in the bathroom? Surely this
is only going to help you if the bath then somehow becomes live? Which
is not very likely - to put it mildly. Any thoughts?

Hmmm - more likely than you think.

Flat above my office, the guy splashed loads of water out of the bath - I
think he was in there with his girlfriend. The water came through my ceiling
and the light fitting. I was cross because of the water, but he had a truly
electrifying experience. After that, he got his bath earthed.

Incidentally, he did not get fried because the electricity had quite a long
path to travel through, but he got a definite tingle (not from the
girlfriend) and it was potentially a dangerous situation.

I was surprised, like you, but since that incident everything in sight gets
earthed.

Geoff

Richard Packer

"GB" wrote in message
"James Michell" wrote in message
om...
What's the point of earthing an iron bath in the bathroom? Surely this
is only going to help you if the bath then somehow becomes live? Which
is not very likely - to put it mildly. Any thoughts?

Hmmm - more likely than you think.

The IEE published a paper on earthing which might be of interest. Can't
find it on the IEE website, but there's a copy here
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town...asticPipes.pdf.

Richard

Christian McArdle

What's the point of earthing an iron bath in the bathroom? Surely this
is only going to help you if the bath then somehow becomes live?

You don't supplementary bond an iron bath, unless it is also earthed by
other means, such as taps fed by copper pipe. The regs suggest that total
electrical isolation is best. If this can't be achieved, then being well
connected with everything else nearby is the second choice as even if
everything in the room is electrified simultaneously, then no current can
flow through you until the fuse/MCB/RCD blows. (This is a little simplistic,
I know).

Christian.

Globe bath taps questions Steve UK diy 1 September 11th 03 11:46 PM
cast iron bath wanted jacob UK diy 2 August 8th 03 01:38 PM
'L' shaped bath anybody? BigWallop UK diy 6 July 27th 03 10:04 PM
Special Bolts for Cast Iron bath feet Rob Graham UK diy 2 July 22nd 03 01:48 PM
Cleaning outside of Cast Iron bath for Painting Rob Graham UK diy 4 July 21st 03 08:56 AM