Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hippo Bags

A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

All well and good, now the warning.

Make sure you read the small print. The bag must be placed within 4m
of the boundary of the house or they will not collect. Foolishly, I
assumed that with a driveway that can easily fit 5 cars and a 12 foot
wide entrance, they would have no problem collecting from more than 4m
away. Their vehicles have an arm which picks up the bags. I thought
they'd be able to back their truck in, and use the arm to collect the
bag from behind the vehicle. Apparently, they are not allowed to do
this. It's got to be within 4m of the roadside, or no pickup.

They will collect with a different vehicle for an extra £38 or so,
which is probably what I will have to do. There's now way I'm
unloading a 1.5tonnes of concrete, soil and rubble,moving it 6 feet,
and putting it all back in again :-( Life is too short.

Anyway, just to warn others.
And please, for those tempted to reply along the lines of "should have
read the instructions", "shouldn't have assumed...", please don't
bother. I know.
This has ben a public service anouncement.

Jon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I used to live in a house with a private shared concrete parking area, which
was damaged (a drain collapsed) by a fairly small skip lorry. I'm not
surprised that they don't want their truck going into people's driveways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Yep. They are ****s. I have seen them refuse to remove a bag from what could
only be described as a car park (massive open spaced flat driveway) as the
bag was more than 4m from the roadside.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

Excellent - just what I was looking for !

All well and good, now the warning.

Make sure you read the small print.

I bet you feel a right idiot for not following your own advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

All well and good, now the warning.

Make sure you read the small print.

I have used them quite frequently over past few years and I find the service
excellent. They are happy to lift the bag over my 6ft high fence but of
course the road is directly adjacent. Maybe their T&C's are such because of
bad experiences in the past.

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[fixed broken quoting]

In article ,
"Frank" writes:

wrote in message
A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

Excellent - just what I was looking for !

Do compare local prices for a skip though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

and you don't get the bag back...is that right?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes

wrote in message
A word of warning to anyone tempted by these:
http://www.hippowaste.co.uk

Basicly an alternative to a small skip. You pay about £12 for the bag
from B&Q, Wickes etc. Fill it up, then call and pay for collection.
Collection is about £55, depending on the size of the bag.

and you don't get the bag back...is that right?

No. (or rather yes you are correct ...)

They aren't esp. good value, compared to a skip, but I can see they
serve a purpose
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon" wrote in message
I used to live in a house with a private shared concrete parking area,
which
was damaged (a drain collapsed) by a fairly small skip lorry. I'm not
surprised that they don't want their truck going into people's driveways.

Not an uncommon problem, along with driveway manhole covers not normally
being rated for lorries. We used to live in a converted Pub, so the drive
had been built to take beer delivery lorries, but experienced lorry drivers
were always unwilling to enter until we had assured them of that fact..

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Skipweasel writes
In article , newspost-c-
says...
They aren't esp. good value, compared to a skip, but I can see they
serve a purpose

Nah - take the trailer down the dump.

Kind a difficult if you don't have trailer.
--
Chris French

Where to buy sand bags? dean Home Repair 18 June 26th 10 08:00 PM
bags [email protected] Metalworking 1 September 1st 07 07:34 PM
vacum bags SeaKan Home Repair 2 December 6th 05 10:42 PM