Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default Where to buy sand bags?

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

http://daybag.com/industrial/sand_bags.html

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

dean wrote:
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Try google then click on froogle

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sandbags

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

We got ours at the local farm supply store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

dean wrote:
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.

Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage space and
is reusable (canvas rots).

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn
inside-out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"HeyBub" wrote in message
dean wrote:
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.

Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage space
and is reusable (canvas rots).

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn
inside-out.

Plastic from the postal service????

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"HeyBub" wrote in message
dean wrote:
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.

Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage space
and is reusable (canvas rots).

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn
inside-out.

Yeah, I'm gonna walk up to the teller at the post office and say " May I
please have 2 dozen of those used mail bags for free please" and wait for
them to say " where did you hear that we have those for the taking, from
some nut on the internet or something" The rest of that advice sounds good
though.

If it has been raining a lot lately (are you from MA or NH by chance today)
then you may be able to get a supply from your city works department with or
without sand already in them. Many cities hand them out to residents during
weather emergencies and sometimes in advance (so they may have them
anytime). Check your city webpage for an info phone number to find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must turn
inside-out.

Or are you suggesting we use plastic (tyvek?)priority mail envelopes as sand
bags?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"HeyBub" wrote in message
PipeDown wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
dean wrote:
I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

Don't use burlap. The mesh is to coarse and the sand will wash out.

Use canvas. Better is plastic. Plastic takes up much less storage
space and is reusable (canvas rots).

You can get all you want from the postal service (for free). Must
turn inside-out.

Yeah, I'm gonna walk up to the teller at the post office and say "
May I please have 2 dozen of those used mail bags for free please" and
wait for them to say " where did you hear that we have those for
the taking, from some nut on the internet or something" The rest of
that advice sounds good though.

Don't go to the "teller" at the counter. Go to the bulk mail acceptace
unit, usually at the central post office.

The US Postal Service will provide all the mailbags you need (also
stickers, labels, rubber-bands, etc.). In fact, for some mailings, mail
must be placed in USPS bags before the post office will even accept it.

Mail bags come in two sizes: Full and half. Actually they come in one bag
with nine more inside (wads of ten). The half size holds about a peck,
full size, a little over a bushel.

If it has been raining a lot lately (are you from MA or NH by chance
today) then you may be able to get a supply from your city works
department with or without sand already in them. Many cities hand
them out to residents during weather emergencies and sometimes in
advance (so they may have them anytime). Check your city webpage for
an info phone number to find out.

The city gives out mail bags? Wow.

Oh, you want us to misuse federal property, thats different. No wonder the
stamp prices keep going up.

The city gives out mail bags? Wow.

Sand Bags Duh the topic of the OP

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

I made sand bags from old jean pant legs--strong, easy, and fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Now THAT is a good idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

But all my old jeans have holes in them!

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

If you have access to any old, tire inner-tubes, they work well as a
makeshift sandbag. Tractor innertubes are good, though can be pretty
heavy if they're too large.

First cut it in half. Using 2x4s, fold one end closed and "clamp" it
between two 2x4's and screw the 2x4's together with several wood
screws. Fill the tube with sand. Close the open end the same way as
the other.

An averaged sized agricultural tractor tube cut in half and filled with
sand can weigh over 100 lbs, so be careful, and maybe cut it into
quarters instead of halves.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&sue

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you have access to any old, tire inner-tubes, they work well as a
makeshift sandbag. Tractor innertubes are good, though can be pretty
heavy if they're too large.

First cut it in half. Using 2x4s, fold one end closed and "clamp" it
between two 2x4's and screw the 2x4's together with several wood
screws. Fill the tube with sand. Close the open end the same way as
the other.

An averaged sized agricultural tractor tube cut in half and filled with
sand can weigh over 100 lbs, so be careful, and maybe cut it into
quarters instead of halves.

HD or Lowes

Posted to alt.home.repair

NYP Burlap wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...gs-110922-.htm
NYP Burlap wrote:
We supply every type of bag imaginable from burlap to polypropylene.

a href="http://nyp-corp.comBurlap and polypropylene sandbags/a
dean wrote:

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

NEVER use burlap. The sand will trickle out of the bag. Canvas works, but
better - and cheaper - are those made of some variety of plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 4:10*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
NYP Burlap wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...and-bags-11092...

dean wrote:

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

NEVER use burlap. The sand will trickle out of the bag. Canvas works, but
better - and cheaper - are those made of some variety of plastic.

SWMBO had me line one of these crates with burlap for a tomato plant
she put on our front porch.

http://www.modern50.com/files/gimgs/...tle-water3.jpg

It's up there with some other plants in pots of various shapes and
sizes. It actually looks pretty cool - the old wood and the rough
burlap.

We'll see how it holds up...it's not like it gets moved around too
much.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

dean wrote:

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

NEVER use burlap. The sand will trickle out of the bag. Canvas works, but
better - and cheaper - are those made of some variety of plastic.

You do realize that you are replying to a spammer and this thread is
over 4 yrs old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:

I tried Lowes and HD. Anyone know where to get burlap sand bags
(typical army size I guess)?

NEVER use burlap. The sand will trickle out of the bag. Canvas works, but
better - and cheaper - are those made of some variety of plastic.

You do realize that you are replying to a spammer and this thread is
over 4 yrs old?

hmmm...4 years old? You'd think HD or Lowes would have restocked by
now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used several pairs of old jeans, cut off the legs, double-sewed the
ends. Used play sand. I found a lot of uses for sand bags in the
shop--as weights until the glue sets up and they are great for the
bottom shelf of any machine you need to minimize vibration.