Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with Makita drill?

Treated myself to a new Makita 18V cordless combi drill at the end of
September. You know the one - on offer with 3 batteries at Screwfix
for £99.

Nice tool - or so it seemed. Not used it heavily as current house
renovation v. nearly finished (but just about to start another...).
Put in about 100 screws with pilot holes to match, used it with a
Forstner bit to make blind holes in MDF to recess 16 nuts + washers
on 6mm bolts for a small project, used it with a nut driver to
tighten said nuts, used it with an auger bit when fitting a door,
about 12 holes with hammer action into brickwork etc etc. Hardly run
in yet...

As I used it more, I began to feel it 'wasn't quite right' and
eventually came to the conclusion that the chuck was not accurately
centred. It was fine with short bits (eg screwdriving) but when using
a long bit (eg an auger, or say a 150mm long masonry bit) there was a
very small amount of 'wandering' at the tip and more vibration than I
expected.

So I returned it to Screwfix as faulty. Kudos to them - reported it
Friday, no quibbles, replacement delivered early Monday, 'bad' one
collected Tuesday. Excellent service.

But on an initial test, the replacement seems no better. So - is it
me? Is it my imagination? The effect is quite slight, it just
'feels' slightly wrong. Testing with a length of 1/2in dia brass rod
(to get something true) seems to confirm a slight 'wobble' - but if I
fiddle with the rod and re-tighten the chuck, it seems to be better,
if not fine.

I can't remember this with my previous 'el cheapo' drill (batteries
failed, too expensive to replace or re-cell them). Anyone else
experienced this or anything similar? Or am I a perfectionist who
expects too much for a mere £99?

All comments appreciated

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Perkin wrote:

As I used it more, I began to feel it 'wasn't quite right' and
eventually came to the conclusion that the chuck was not accurately
centred. It was fine with short bits (eg screwdriving) but when using
a long bit (eg an auger, or say a 150mm long masonry bit) there was a
very small amount of 'wandering' at the tip and more vibration than I
expected.

But on an initial test, the replacement seems no better. So - is it
me? Is it my imagination? The effect is quite slight, it just
'feels' slightly wrong. Testing with a length of 1/2in dia brass rod
(to get something true) seems to confirm a slight 'wobble' - but if I
fiddle with the rod and re-tighten the chuck, it seems to be better,
if not fine.

That does not sound right really. I have a two speed 18V combi (probably
not quite the same model) with a Rhom chuck, and that is absolutely spot
on for bit eccentricity. (same is true for the three speed 14V version
my friend has). The only time I notice bit wobble is with cheap and
nasty spade bits, but that is because they are bent to start with.

As a general point there is a slight tendency for three jaw chucks to
achieve a slightly different centre each time you tighten them, but
ought not be that obvious for hand held drilling operations. (you notice
it if you remount a job on a lathe with a three jaw chuck).

I can't remember this with my previous 'el cheapo' drill (batteries
failed, too expensive to replace or re-cell them). Anyone else
experienced this or anything similar? Or am I a perfectionist who
expects too much for a mere £99?

It does not seem unreasonable to expect close to perfection given the
brand and reputation etc. It might be worth discussing it with Makita
tech support - I have found them quite good in the past.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

I'd try the chuck of the other drill.

If it's the same then it's probably some 'runout' from the gearbox.

I'd expect the drill is made in China, though nothing wrong with that,
just won't always be quite as good as something made in say Germany or
Switzerland.

cheers,
Pete.

Warranty on Makita cordless drill / Starter drill kits emsee UK diy 18 August 14th 06 07:03 PM
Makita Drill James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking 0 May 22nd 06 05:51 PM
Makita Drill Swingman Woodworking 0 May 21st 06 09:05 PM
Makita drill Mark UK diy 2 May 18th 06 01:03 AM
Problem with a Makita 6095D Drill geoff UK diy 5 March 25th 04 10:15 PM