Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Shims

Been using plastic shims for a while
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67164/...stic-Shims-200

Mixed packs are OK, but I want to buy a supply of 10mm only.

Found one supplier on the web at £10 per 100 +£9.80 postage!!!!!!! £9.80
(+VAT) to post 100 plastic shims worth about £2 to make.

Anyone know where I can buy one size at a sensible price & delivery charge?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Been using plastic shims for a while
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67164/...stic-Shims-200

Mixed packs are OK, but I want to buy a supply of 10mm only.

Found one supplier on the web at £10 per 100 +£9.80 postage!!!!!!! £9.80
(+VAT) to post 100 plastic shims worth about £2 to make.

Anyone know where I can buy one size at a sensible price & delivery charge?

I quite often use those, but run out of the smaller sizes first as I
tend to use bits of scrap timber for larger gaps... if you want lots of
10mm thickness, isn't it easy enough just to chop up a lump of 10mm
thick board and make yourself a stock?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Been using plastic shims for a while
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67164/...stic-Shims-200

Mixed packs are OK, but I want to buy a supply of 10mm only.

Found one supplier on the web at £10 per 100 +£9.80 postage!!!!!!! £9.80
(+VAT) to post 100 plastic shims worth about £2 to make.

Anyone know where I can buy one size at a sensible price & delivery charge?

There'll be a plastic building materials wholesaler on one of
the industrial estates. They supply the spacers to double glazing
installers along with all the plastic trim pieces.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Google 10mm plastic packers and you get hits like this
http://www.multifixings.com/category...scid=7&catid=1

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Been using plastic shims for a while
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67164/...stic-Shims-200

Mixed packs are OK, but I want to buy a supply of 10mm only.

Found one supplier on the web at £10 per 100 +£9.80 postage!!!!!!! £9.80
(+VAT) to post 100 plastic shims worth about £2 to make.

Anyone know where I can buy one size at a sensible price & delivery
charge?

I quite often use those, but run out of the smaller sizes first as I
tend to use bits of scrap timber for larger gaps... if you want lots
of 10mm thickness, isn't it easy enough just to chop up a lump of 10mm
thick board and make yourself a stock?

I want them for spacing ledger plates away from walls when building decks.
Washers are a pain to use. I wanted plastic so they won't rot away.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Google 10mm plastic packers and you get hits like this
http://www.multifixings.com/category...scid=7&catid=1

They were the people with the outrageous postage charges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:04:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I quite often use those, but run out of the smaller sizes first as I
tend to use bits of scrap timber for larger gaps... if you want lots
of 10mm thickness, isn't it easy enough just to chop up a lump of 10mm
thick board and make yourself a stock?

I want them for spacing ledger plates away from walls when building decks.
Washers are a pain to use. I wanted plastic so they won't rot away.

I know it's not what you were asking for (don't you hate it when people do
that? :-) but if you can't get a bucket full of 10mm spacers for
reasonable wonga wouldn't suitable sections of PVC cladding do?

(I take it you've asked your local double-glazing fitters?)

--
John Stumbles

Fundamentalist agnostic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Been using plastic shims for a while
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67164/...stic-Shims-200

Mixed packs are OK, but I want to buy a supply of 10mm only.

Found one supplier on the web at £10 per 100 +£9.80 postage!!!!!!! £9.80
(+VAT) to post 100 plastic shims worth about £2 to make.

Anyone know where I can buy one size at a sensible price & delivery
charge?

In the 'window trade' the spacers they use are referred to as Flat Packers,
but only seem to go up to 6mm, as the frames are only supposed to be 10mm
smaller than the brick to brick gap, i.e. 5mm per side. It may be worth
asking at a local uPVC suppliers if 10mm are available or you could use two
5mm ones together.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
John wrote:
Google 10mm plastic packers and you get hits like this
http://www.multifixings.com/category...scid=7&catid=1

They were the people with the outrageous postage charges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Dave

Try wizer wurth. I know in the local tc they do all sort, but not sure of
the sizes.

Steve