Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bare/Rusted metal inside Microwave.

This must be a common problem. I wonder if anybody has a clever way of
fixing it . . . rather than taking the entire microwave to a recycling
centre!

This problem must have happened to every microwave we have had over the
past 15 years. After about a year or so the paint on the bottom of the
interior starts to bubble, then flake away, to eventually leave a narrow
track of bare and/or rusted metal in the area where the wheels of the
revolving plate pass.

I think the problem is caused by moisture gathering and sitting on the
bottom of the microwave and eventually spoiling the paint, but that this
is exacerbated by the constant passing of the wheels which also spoils
the painted surface.

Anyway, I imagine that if I prepared the trail thoroughly with
sandpaper, then maybe applied a little anti-rust, and then some white
enamel paint, it could be weeks before food stopped smelling of cooked
paint!!!!!!

Any remedies or other advice?

Thanks.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy Bentley wrote:

[...]

Buy a microwave with a stainless steel interior!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Buy a microwave with a stainless steel interior!

Very good idea, Viemeister! Thank you. Next time I have to buy one I
will remember that!

In the meantime . . . is there no hope of dealing with the current
machine?

Eddy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy Bentley wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

Buy a microwave with a stainless steel interior!

Very good idea, Viemeister! Thank you. Next time I have to buy one I
will remember that!

In the meantime . . . is there no hope of dealing with the current
machine?

I wouldn't try to paint it - the smell would put me off.
Carefully wiping out the inside after _every_ use should help to prevent
it rusting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in message
[...]

A bit tongue in cheek this, but "Don't look"??

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eddy Bentley writes:
This must be a common problem. I wonder if anybody has a clever way of
fixing it . . . rather than taking the entire microwave to a recycling
centre!

This problem must have happened to every microwave we have had over the
past 15 years. After about a year or so the paint on the bottom of the
interior starts to bubble, then flake away, to eventually leave a narrow
track of bare and/or rusted metal in the area where the wheels of the
revolving plate pass.

It's never happened to me, but none of my microwaves (a 20 year
old Hitachi, and a 7 year old Sharp; both still working fine) has
had the revolving plate supported by wheels -- they just sit on a
central spindle.

BTW -- it's generally a PAT test failure to have corrosion inside
the cavity of a microwave oven.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:
I have in the past sanded the rust, applied primer and spayed it with paint
for a car from Halfords, or spray on some Hammerite
.. Leave it open for 24 hours then boil a few mugs of water in it. The steam
helps clear the smell. It worked for me

Thanks, Sam. I guess I was thinking of the worst possible scenario:
paint bubbling away for months on end.

I'll give it go and see. If it doesn't work, then I'll be pricing
stainless-steel interiors.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Eddy Bentley writes:
This must be a common problem. I wonder if anybody has a clever way of
fixing it . . . rather than taking the entire microwave to a recycling
centre!

This problem must have happened to every microwave we have had over the
past 15 years. After about a year or so the paint on the bottom of the
interior starts to bubble, then flake away, to eventually leave a narrow
track of bare and/or rusted metal in the area where the wheels of the
revolving plate pass.

It's never happened to me, but none of my microwaves (a 20 year
old Hitachi, and a 7 year old Sharp; both still working fine) has
had the revolving plate supported by wheels -- they just sit on a
central spindle.

BTW -- it's generally a PAT test failure to have corrosion inside
the cavity of a microwave oven.

On what grounds?

There is no direct electrical contact between the feed and base in use so
how would it fail?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Stick a layer of thin sheet plastic to the area affected and let the wheels
run on that.
Easy to clean too

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy Bentley writes:
[...]

Deteriorating towards microwave leakage when it corrodes through
(which may not be apparent due to rust), if not leaking already.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:

I have in the past sanded the rust, applied primer and spayed it with paint
for a car from Halfords, or spray on some Hammerite

. Leave it open for 24 hours then boil a few mugs of water in it. The steam
helps clear the smell. It worked for me

Sam

Car paints use relatively volatile solvents, so stop smelling
much faster than household gloss.

NT

Painting inside of microwave with radiator paint Rob Nicholson UK diy 31 February 1st 21 02:47 PM
OT- Painting inside a microwave Steve Walker Metalworking 6 December 20th 05 03:29 PM
Bare Plaster Neil Duffy UK diy 4 October 10th 05 12:56 PM
OTR (over the range) microwave - vented inside or out? Howie Home Repair 21 January 11th 05 08:49 PM
Looking for Bare Metal Primer GJRepesh Metalworking 3 May 5th 04 01:12 PM