Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix - innit clever.

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.

I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade counter to the
list.

Now that is even more useful.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.

I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade counter to the
list.

Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and collect
from the local trade counter with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods being ready
when you arrive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 05:28:09 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.

I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade counter to the
list.

Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and collect
from the local trade counter with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods being ready
when you arrive.

Have you emailed them to suggest this?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has

Agree - just that would be a leap forward.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.
I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.
Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade
counter to the
list.
Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and collect
from the local trade counter with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods being ready
when you arrive.

They abandoned the phone-and-collect service because of too many
no-shows. I like the idea of doing it via the website because if you
failed to collect they'd still have your money. Perhaps if they'd made
the phone-and-collect prepaid it would have worked.

I once reserved (or so I thought) some stuff from PC World online for
collection in-store (it's cheaper that way). After I had waited for 20
minutes in the collections/returns/problems queue, the person who
served me had no idea about any reserved order. All she did was take
them off the shelves in the shop!
Next time I did the same, ignoring the queues, and just showed the
cashier the printout.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:43:33 +0000, Mogga wrote:

Have you emailed them to suggest this?

They were doing a survey a while back and I suggested much thae same
thing. Along with being able to pay off my account by direct debit instead
of having to do a manual BACS each month, and perhaps one or two other
ideas. None of which they've shown any signs of doing yet.

Still at least the wibble doesn't keep logging you out like toolstations,
and has a reasonably good wishlist facility. And don't even mention
Pulsar's and BES's websites ptui!

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.

I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade counter to the
list.

Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and collect
from the local trade counter with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods being ready
when you arrive.

Have you emailed them to suggest this?

Yes. I didn't receive a reply. I don't use their trade counters any longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the "all your
purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I re order.
I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.
Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade counter to the
list.
Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and collect
from the local trade counter with the central site knowing what the
trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods being ready
when you arrive.

They abandoned the phone-and-collect service because of too many
no-shows. I like the idea of doing it via the website because if you
failed to collect they'd still have your money. Perhaps if they'd made
the phone-and-collect prepaid it would have worked.

Yes, for items like that it should be prepay. For example, that's how
RS operates. You can select pickup/delivery arrangement in the
ordering system, then as you go through selecting items can tell
whether they are in stock. Often there is a near alternative, so with
choice, one can get a 100% hit most times. I don't often need to
use RS pickup service, but if there's an urgent item then it makes
sense to add non urgent if making a visit.

Where you have items such as Screwfix sells, there are often lots of
small items to be picked, and there is a cost to restock if the
customer doesn't show.

I once reserved (or so I thought) some stuff from PC World online for
collection in-store (it's cheaper that way). After I had waited for 20
minutes in the collections/returns/problems queue, the person who
served me had no idea about any reserved order. All she did was take
them off the shelves in the shop!
Next time I did the same, ignoring the queues, and just showed the
cashier the printout.

I always do that. PCWorld is part of DSG and therefore deserves to
have extra work to fill their day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the
"all your purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I
re order. I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade
counter to the list.

Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and
collect from the local trade counter with the central site knowing
what the trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods
being ready when you arrive.

They had a pile of business cards last time I went in with an 01634 phone
number so you can call the trade counter direct for a stock check.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I've bought quite a lot from Screwfix over the years & I find the
"all your purchases" feature on their web site really useful when I
re order. I can never remember exactly what sizes etc.

Only just noticed that it adds stuff I buy at the local trade
counter to the list.

Now that is even more useful.

It would be even more useful if you could order on the site and
collect from the local trade counter with the central site knowing
what the trade counter has, generating a pick list and the goods
being ready when you arrive.

They had a pile of business cards last time I went in with an 01634 phone
number so you can call the trade counter direct for a stock check.

Same in the Leeds branch 0113 number on the card, I asked if I could "check
stock" and was told this wouldn't be a problem. BTW how long does it take
for the trade counter orders to appear on your order history? I have been 4
times now in the last 5 weeks and none show on my account history online.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

The items I bought on Friday were on the list on Saturday. I did write my
customer number on the form, don't know if that makes a difference.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Me too but nothing on my history. I'll ask next time I'm in there.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-25 23:29:26 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

I've just checked my account and the stuff I bought locally does
appear but not the actual date when you bought them . I don't usually
put my account number on the ordering slip but I do put my house
number and postcode so that finds my details on the Screwfix Computer
instore

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-26 18:15:06 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
PCWorld is part of DSG and therefore deserves to have extra work to
fill their day.

Isn't PCWorld even plebbier than Argos?

Owain

`In the same range, but one can at least look through the pile of goods
before buying and eliminate the returned items.

Even so, still only useful for a distress purchase on a Sunday afternoon.

Clever scam Stuart Noble UK diy 50 November 12th 06 07:01 PM
Clever Window Well Idea: Is this allowed? Nate Home Repair 12 May 31st 06 08:06 PM
Anybody got a clever ideaq for computer caddy? AKA gray asphalt Home Repair 18 January 31st 06 04:58 AM
OT. Clever and Fun John B Woodworking 3 January 22nd 06 04:19 PM
Clever actuator -- and pretty cheap [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 5th 05 01:12 AM