Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clever scam

This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it.
Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package
etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top
rate premium number.
Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it.
Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package
etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top
rate premium number.
Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days, it
looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

If I get such a card it always says that they'll try to deliver on such and
such a day, some state the sender.

I'd be very suspicious of anything which had neither statements.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it.
Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package
etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top
rate premium number.
Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days, it
looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

This has been going on for ages.

Mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to
Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get
them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight
away.

Didn't seem remotely plausible.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:25:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to
Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get
them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight
away.

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

Premium Rate Phone Regulator .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ICSTIS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to
Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get
them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight
away.

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

Google is your friend.

It's the premium rate services regulator.

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

Tells you all about 09** phone numbers, which you should avoid like the
plague and only use when desperate.

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one
December 23...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

Google is your friend.

It's the premium rate services regulator.

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

Tells you all about 09** phone numbers, which you should avoid like the
plague and only use when desperate.

I never have.

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one
December 23...

That won't happen here.

No alarm :-)

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:25:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"Guy King" wrote in message
.. .
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these
words:

Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to
Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get
them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight
away.

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

Premium Rate Phone Regulator .

Thanks, bookmarked!

Mary

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Oh, I had one of them a year or two ago. Just sent a scan of it to
Trading Standards and let them deal with it. Also rang ICSTIS to get
them to bar the premium rate number, which apparently they did straight
away.

What's ICSTIS?

Mary

Silly of me to imagine that this was new, or that anyone on here would
be taken in by it :-)
If the scammers' card said they would attempt to re-deliver the
following day, and simply showed the phone number without inviting you
to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't need
too many
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" typed

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one
December 23...

That won't happen here.

No alarm :-)

I only have an alarm because the previous owners had one fitted.

I don't have the guts to get it removed and the maintenance contract is
£100 + VAT per year. The insurance premium reduction I get for it is
minimal...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect that there may be another scam around which I haven't met
before - I was working at a friend's house when the phone went and it
was a Reverse Charges call - I said No because I couldn't think of
anyone likely to phone him that way, and it did turn out that he has
received another one of these recently - and refused it too.

Not sure how the economics of it would work out but they are bound to
be against you !

Rob

Stuart Noble wrote:
This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it.
Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package
etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top
rate premium number.
Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

I suspect that there may be another scam around which I haven't met
before - I was working at a friend's house when the phone went and it
was a Reverse Charges call - I said No because I couldn't think of
anyone likely to phone him that way, and it did turn out that he has
received another one of these recently - and refused it too.

Not sure how the economics of it would work out but they are bound to
be against you !

To the tune of at least GBP3.48. Can't quite see any monetary
gain for the calling party though

Chris.
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
ups.com...
I suspect that there may be another scam around which I haven't met
before - I was working at a friend's house when the phone went and it
was a Reverse Charges call - I said No because I couldn't think of
anyone likely to phone him that way, and it did turn out that he has
received another one of these recently - and refused it too.

But when you're sked if you'll accept a transferred charge you're given the
name of the caller. Well, I ALWAYS have been.

A fake caller wouldn't know which name to give.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

What's ICSTIS?

What's up, Mary, Google fallen off the net today?

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

It's the regulatory body which (among other things) regulates premium
rate numbers.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

What's ICSTIS?

What's up, Mary, Google fallen off the net today?

No, but I've had distracting problems today, one was sorted by the bank and
one by Zetnet but the postman hasn't solved the other ...

http://www.icstis.org.uk/

It's the regulatory body which (among other things) regulates premium
rate numbers.

So I gather, it's a splendid site and now in my Favourites, thanks to
someone who got in before you :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
This is a new one on me, and maybe I would have fallen for it.
Card through the door from XYZ Couriers. We tried to deliver a package
etc. Ring this number to arrange delivery. You can guess the rest, top
rate premium number.
Given that everyone is expecting a delivery from somewhere these days,
it looks like being a lucrative scam for a while.

I heard it mentioned somewhere a couple of weeks ago - yes, very devious

surely being an out and out con, it should get shut down (or not ...)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from raden contains these words:

surely being an out and out con, it should get shut down (or not ...)

It does, and these days the income from premium rate lines doesn't get
distributed straight away so that scams have time to come to light
before the scammer splits with the dosh.

Given all that I'm amazed they still try.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from raden contains these words:

surely being an out and out con, it should get shut down (or not ...)

It does, and these days the income from premium rate lines doesn't get
distributed straight away so that scams have time to come to light
before the scammer splits with the dosh.

Translation, please?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

surely being an out and out con, it should get shut down (or not ...)

It does, and these days the income from premium rate lines doesn't get
distributed straight away so that scams have time to come to light
before the scammer splits with the dosh.

Translation, please?

The scammers hope to make lots of money by people ringing a premium rate
phone number. However, these days the numbers get shut down quite
rapidly. The scammers share of the phone charges used to be available to
the scammers straight away, so they could wait till the line's shut
down, clear out the account and disappear with the profits. Doesn't work
like that now - the money isn't available straight away, it's retained
by the telco and is forfeited if the number turns out to have been used
fraudulently.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't need
too many

Assuming they could keep you on the line for 10 mins!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

What's ICSTIS?

What's up, Mary, Google fallen off the net today?

No, but I've had distracting problems today,

You regularly use Usenet, so nothing new there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To the tune of at least GBP3.48. Can't quite see any monetary
gain for the calling party though

Chris.

I'm confused by that as well. What happens if they are calling from
premium rate number? Does the system charge you as if you had called
them perhaps?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "John" contains these words:

I'm confused by that as well. What happens if they are calling from
premium rate number?

I don't think you can call from a premium rate number.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't need
too many

Assuming they could keep you on the line for 10 mins!

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started. Maybe
that was scaremongering
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:

to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't
need too many

Assuming they could keep you on the line for 10 mins!

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started. Maybe
that was scaremongering

The maximum price that a premium rate line can change in this country is
£1.50/min:

http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/p...e_money_go.asp

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:

to ring it, they might get a better haul. At £15 a hit they don't
need too many

Assuming they could keep you on the line for 10 mins!

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started.
Maybe that was scaremongering

The maximum price that a premium rate line can change in this country is
£1.50/min:

http://www.icstis.org.uk/consumers/p...e_money_go.asp

Thanks. Not so clever after all then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one
December 23...

That won't happen here.

No alarm :-)

I only have an alarm because the previous owners had one fitted.

I don't have the guts to get it removed and the maintenance contract is
£100 + VAT per year. The insurance premium reduction I get for it is
minimal...

I didn't realise there was a maintenance contract too!

That's three weeks of wine with dinner!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, I see, thanks!

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" typed

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" typed

I confess to doing this when my burglar alarm went off unprovoked one
December 23...

That won't happen here.

No alarm :-)

I only have an alarm because the previous owners had one fitted.

I don't have the guts to get it removed and the maintenance contract is
£100 + VAT per year. The insurance premium reduction I get for it is
minimal...

I didn't realise there was a maintenance contract too!

That's three weeks of wine with dinner!

Mary

I could give up the maintenance contract. (I didn't have one the first 4
years I had this place) but then I'd be on my own should it malfunction
again. It was horrible when this last happened, and I don't care for a
repeat...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:08:07 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The scammers hope to make lots of money by people ringing a premium rate
phone number. However, these days the numbers get shut down quite
rapidly. The scammers share of the phone charges used to be available to
the scammers straight away, so they could wait till the line's shut
down, clear out the account and disappear with the profits. Doesn't work
like that now - the money isn't available straight away, it's retained
by the telco and is forfeited if the number turns out to have been used
fraudulently.

IIRC that was introduced because scammers had taken to scamming
themselves (as it were) by phoning their own premium rate numbers,
immediately making off with the proceeds, and leaving an enormous
unpaid phone bill.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The scammers hope to make lots of money by people ringing a premium rate
phone number. However, these days the numbers get shut down quite
rapidly. The scammers share of the phone charges used to be available to
the scammers straight away, so they could wait till the line's shut
down, clear out the account and disappear with the profits. Doesn't work
like that now - the money isn't available straight away, it's retained
by the telco and is forfeited if the number turns out to have been used
fraudulently.

IIRC that was introduced because scammers had taken to scamming
themselves (as it were) by phoning their own premium rate numbers,
immediately making off with the proceeds, and leaving an enormous
unpaid phone bill.

Damn. I missed that one.;-)

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started. Maybe
that was scaremongering

Indeed it was scaremongering. I forget what the highest rate is but it's
about £1.50/min or somesuch.

If they really wanted to nobble you they'd make it an international call!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I understood you got billed £15 when the recorded message started. Maybe
that was scaremongering

Indeed it was scaremongering. I forget what the highest rate is but it's
about £1.50/min or somesuch.

If they really wanted to nobble you they'd make it an international call!

--
Skipweasel

£2.50 a min, it was on't telly only last night !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

£2.50 a min, it was on't telly only last night !!

ICSTIS's own wibble still reckons it's £1.50 and since it's them that
enforces it I know which I'd believe.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The scammers hope to make lots of money by people ringing a premium rate
phone number. However, these days the numbers get shut down quite
rapidly. The scammers share of the phone charges used to be available to
the scammers straight away, so they could wait till the line's shut
down, clear out the account and disappear with the profits. Doesn't work
like that now - the money isn't available straight away, it's retained
by the telco and is forfeited if the number turns out to have been used
fraudulently.

IIRC that was introduced because scammers had taken to scamming
themselves (as it were) by phoning their own premium rate numbers,
immediately making off with the proceeds, and leaving an enormous
unpaid phone bill.

A classic of the genre was carried out in NY, probably lot's of other places
as well. A courier would turn up in reception to collect a package, of
course there was no package and the reception staff would not know anything
about it. So the "courier" would say "Oh could I just use your phone to call
my office and check what the problem is?" Of course he wouldn't phone his
office but instead a $30 a minute south seas premium number set up by the
scammers. Get 20-30 people to do that 20-30 times a day and you have quite a
little earner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
I don't have the guts to get it removed and the maintenance contract is
£100 + VAT per year. The insurance premium reduction I get for it is
minimal...

I didn't realise there was a maintenance contract too!

It's one of these cons. Without one you don't get the insurance
'discount'. I've got alarms all round about - presumably on service
contracts, since they have names on the bell boxes. And constant false
alarms. My self installed one has never triggered falsely.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

£2.50 a min, it was on't telly only last night !!

ICSTIS's own wibble still reckons it's £1.50 and since it's them that
enforces it I know which I'd believe.

--
Skipweasel

Yep, TV prolly putting a stretch on it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:01:41 +0100, Guy King wrote:

£2.50 a min, it was on't telly only last night !!

ICSTIS's own wibble still reckons it's £1.50 and since it's them that
enforces it I know which I'd believe.

Aye, the highest I can find in the BT Price List is:

p0 - Calls to Premium Rate Services 28.06.1995 127.65 149.989
ff21 - Calls to Premium Rate Services 01.07.2003 127.70 150.048

p0 is a per minute charge, ff21 is a fixed fee.

Of course this for BT land lines, mobiles and other landline providers
have their own price lists.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail